Thread: Walmart Winchester Model 70

Default Walmart Winchester Model 70

I'm visiting my nephew in Spokane and noticed the local Walmart still had a Model 70 for sale . It's a 30-06 pushfeed with a Simmons scope. It has a blind box magazine and synthetic stock. They're asking about $430 with tax. Is this something I should snap up, or is there something so terrible about these that they're not wanted? They said at the gun counter that they still get them in from time to time. I'd appreciate input from anyone with any experience with these rifles, or just an opinion. Thanks---Mike

Question Not that big of deal

Unless you are just wanting a Winchester, I would look for a mod 70 clasic which has the control round feed. They are still a few floating around at around $700 or so. The big mags have gone way up though. Over a grand if you can find them. See them on shotgun news, but most are gone before you can get one paid and shipped.

Default Wifes Rifle

Hi,

In 94' my wife saw the same gun at wally world. She bought it. I have shot it and see NO issues with it. It shoots well and has held up when she hunts with it. The 94' price was $295.

Ron

Default Uh...

These rifles are bringing about that used around these parts. They dried up shortly after the announcement that the factory was closing.
    I've got one in 7mm mag, and glad I hung onto it. 26" barrel, as were the .300's, and the .30-06, as I recall, was 24" long. That two inches of barrel makes a bit of difference with heavier bullets and slow powders.
    The one I have shoots really well, sub MOA with the right loads, see no reason that the '06 shouldn't do as well, too, except that the first thing I did was pull the Simmons scope and replaced it with a Redfield in the same mounts and rings (Weavers).
    If I needed yet another '06, I'd consider one of these before a new 700 Remington! It'd be tough to buy ANYONE's new .30-06 for that kind of money.

I was searching for a Ruger #1, I did a search on the internet and Walmart popped up for $700 or so. I called Ruger and asked if they were a lesser quality or something. They said they were the exact same rifles as you would get anywhere else. So I have a Ruger #1 SS 30-06 from Walmart for $700 not a $1000. GET IT!

Default Maybe little known...

You can go to the sports desk at any WalMart, go through their catalogs, and order in any of a GREAT number of firearms that they have access to that they don't have on the rack. You can ALSO go to WalMart's online site, and peruse and order firearms that (I understand) will be delivered to your nearest store for pickup.

"Special Order" Guns and ammunition...

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catal...&catNavId=4155

You can order guns from the catelog at the sporting goods counter. However, in Ak you can't order on-line and have it shipped to the store (at this time). All of Wal-Marts guns are bought locally from VF Grace. Ak stores usually have a larger selection than that of lower 48 stores including handguns. EricL

Default Thanks for all the Info

Thanks everyone for the advise. I'd rather have a Classic, but that's outside my price range for an actual working rifle. With all the hullabaloo about Winchester stopping production, I figured I'd never see a new one on the shelves again. I'll pick it up and replace the scope.

Default Walmart handguns

In Anchorage Wal-Marts, the handguns don't have firing pins. If you want one, they have to order it for you. The rifles and shotguns are in working order, however. What a curious world.

I too have one of the WalMart Model 70's. It is a great gun and very accurate. Beats anything else in the price range. Yes, they still have a few pop up here and there. I was told it is because they are reducing the stores that carry guns so the rest get dispersed around. I know where there is one in .300 mag and I'm going to grab it next time I'm there.

As for the Walmart special order program... If you check online, they list quite a few guns. Then look at the price. a Wally world close to me has a Mossberg 935 shotgun new for $399. The special order price for the same gun is $465. You have to be careful and shop around as much as you can.

Tip of the Day: Add a little more money and pick-up a Nice "CZ-550" rifle. They make some Nice-ones !