Thread: Rivers good for a Zodiac...

Default Rivers good for a Zodiac...

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, but what are some good rivers in South Central that are doable in a 13' zodiac with a 15hp? Just mainly looking to explore and possibly some fishing. I've used the boat in the salt a few times but feel it might do just fine on some rivers around here (valley,Anch,Kenai) I've been searching on here about 20 mile but it seems most guys go up there in jet boats but I'm thinking its possible in a zodiac as well? Any advice guys?
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, but what are some good rivers in South Central that are doable in a 13' zodiac with a 15hp? Just mainly looking to explore and possibly some fishing. I've used the boat in the salt a few times but feel it might do just fine on some rivers around here (valley,Anch,Kenai) I've been searching on here about 20 mile but it seems most guys go up there in jet boats but I'm thinking its possible in a zodiac as well? Any advice guys?
    You can navigate just about any river you want to try in SC.. Your not going to get that zodiac hung up on any sandbar that you can't drag it off of. re 20 Mile, buy an extra prop and give it a try... what's to loose???

Yes, I realize that but I was looking for info on rivers that are more than a mile and a guy is able to get someplace with the sport boat and wasn't full of impassable rapids. Just looking for ideas that other members have done or tried....
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

If you go slow and take your time you will be fine for till about mile 7 when you come right next to face of mountain then there is couple really shallow spots afte that . If you make to no fishing sign the There only 100 yards of river you could run passed that...I've seen lots guy up there with props. Read the river and you will be fine. All you can do is get out there at try.. Have fun.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

There are all sorts of rivers to explore safely with that set up. I would rather you put a 25hp jet on it then you can go anywhere. All of the Susitna Drainage, Talkeetna and Parks hwy rivers will be accessible with that set up. No rapids to speak of but plenty of other typical river obstacles to navigate around. Practice makes perfect. But yes, your Zodiac is a very safe boat capable of going on any river.

Bumping that transom on the bottom of the river will cost you dearly in you zodiac. I have taken my 15-5" zodiac to deshka landing. Up into little willow creek (not far) from the deshka landing launch. You can run it in the kenai. The mouth of the kasilof (watch tides). You could take it down to the yenta and run a long ways up the yenta. 15 ponies sounds small - you best go light. Coming back up the big su against the rriver flow slows you down a bit.

I just went for for it and did 20 mile on Sat. No problems at all with the boat and 15hp. Sure I hit a few times but I made it past the no fishing sign. I'd really like to make it all the way back to the lake. Not sure if that will happen without a jet though. Only other guy back in there was an airboat trying to find his way through the braids.
    Still interested in some other rivers to check out and explore...