Thread: seward without fish finder

Default seward without fish finder

so, having read as much as i can about the fishing structures in seward, are there any tips that i can get for fishing in seward of a chart alone? i got hosed on my new fishfinder and will be stuck without one for this weekend, but i gotta get out and fish. i have a 22ft jet and am comfortable in 2-3ft, 4ft if necessary. not looking for secret spots, just something i can drip over or near with a reasonable chance of catching fish. at this point i was looking into the chiswells during the slack , but beyond that i'm not sure
    thanks

Chiswells is a long run. I'd say try Chevalle Narrows and Pony cove, and around the mouth of R-bay. 200-300' of water based on what your charts say should get you into some fish.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

thanks will give them all a try have all weekend to do it, and i really just want to boat something that swims..... cod rockfish otters sea birds, you know, whatever takes the bait

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by winibezold View Post
    thanks will give them all a try have all weekend to do it, and i really just want to boat something that swims..... cod rockfish otters sea birds, you know, whatever takes the bait
    You should consider spending some time around between Caines Head and Callisto

Drift and Jig around Pilot rock. There are high spots marked on your chart and chart plotter. there are a variety of rockfish and some halibut deeper around that rock.

good luck

Default Cape Resurrection

As close as you can get to to the tip of Cape Resurrection for rockfish, loads of them there.
    Put the boat about 40 feet from the cliff, either jig straight down, or cast to the cliff and jig back to the boat.
    Watch out for boat wakes from the big charters that round the Cape at high speed.

Chizys are a bit away for a jet boat unless very good weather is had. Last year I rented a boat with a broken sonar system, i had zero depth. I pulled out the charts and started plinking around, anywhere it said "RKY" until the weather turned really really crappy. My hung over crew decided we should roll in and fish our way to the harbor, so i swung around the south east side of Rugged Island right up against the cliffs. if you are 100 yds (verified with range finder) the tide started pulling us away from the island. very good Dusky Rockfishing, and sure as hell my buddy had to piss so i held his rod.......And when that happened I ended up catching a 98 pound Halibut with my drunken crew at awe........Good Luck Brother.....

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jojomoose View Post
    Chizys are a bit away for a jet boat unless very good weather is had. Last year I rented a boat with a broken sonar system, i had zero depth. I pulled out the charts and started plinking around, anywhere it said "RKY" until the weather turned really really crappy. My hung over crew decided we should roll in and fish our way to the harbor, so i swung around the south east side of Rugged Island right up against the cliffs. if you are 100 yds (verified with range finder) the tide started pulling us away from the island. very good Dusky Rockfishing, and sure as hell my buddy had to piss so i held his rod.......And when that happened I ended up catching a 98 pound Halibut with my drunken crew at awe........Good Luck Brother.....

Joe
    Now that sounds like my kind of boat!! And my kind of crew!! "Salty"!!

so tried a few of the spots mentioned, couldn't get too far out due to some pretty thick fog rolling in right at the end of res. the luck turned out to come from the north end of fox, picked up a few fish nice p-cod, 20lb halibut and a rockfish that I can't id just yet. great day on the water made better by some fresh fish for the fryer, thanks again for all your help

here's the DSC_0963.jpgrockfish, anybody know what it is?

Quillback. Pain in the ass to clean, but they eat well. Beats a filet-O-fish from the golden arches!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.