Thread: Calf and lambs...gonna be tough

Default Calf and lambs...gonna be tough

It's that time of year moose caribou and sheep will be dropping soon. Lets hope the conditions improve out there or we are gonna see a high mortality rate this year!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Saw the first Chugach lambs last night and also my first golden eagle of the year. Funny how they know where to be and when. Temps are headed for the high 60's to mid 70's next week in south central so conditions should be getting better quickly.

It can change quick, up north it's gonna be behind though. Good year to focus on some bears.
    Master guide 212

I'm seeing some stillborn fawns for the first time this year? If it were cows I would think bangs for sure.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

A moose calved in my back yard last friday night before the snow. The little one made it through the weekend. I saw it on moday and tuesday. I thought for sure she would lose it.

Saw a calf today on Tudor rd along the powerlines. Cute little bugger. I thought it might be a couple weeks early... I guess not
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Saw a ewe and newborn lamb on May 12th laying on a small edge 50 feet above the Seward Hwy along Turnagain Arm. They were drawing quite the crowd of onlookers and photographers along the highway.

Mooses been dropping for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Temps are headed for the high 60's to mid 70's next week in south central......
    I'll believe that when I see it.......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Just flew to the slope it's winter between Fairbanks and the valley still. Hoping for some melt as well.
    Master guide 212

Wife and I are just back to the home cabin after spending a week camped on higher ground downriver. We didn't want to risk being here for this breakup, the latest on record for us, and quite a strange one. Ironically, the day we snowshoed and mushed out to camp downriver, after a few days of temps in the high fifties and rapidly rising water levels, it was blizzard conditions, snowing hard, and mid twenties. We could not keep sparrows out of the wall tent that night ... the next night it got to 11 degrees, hiked back home to check on things and dozens of dead songbirds all around the yard and in the woods.

Breakup of sorts was yesterday afternoon. At least the ice around here went out. Water to top of bank and spilled over at times, was ankle deep in the yard when we returned. Think most of the ice above us still hasn't gone out, but all channels around us and below are now clear. River is raging right to the top of bank though ... which brings me to Jake's posting and what it may mean for moose around here.

Typically the cows like to calve right near the river as water is their main protection against predators. They will bring their calf or calves into deeper water to get away from bears and wolves. But with water at flood stage now and not sure how much longer, no way can they get into the river. Even the back sloughs and normally dry channels are raging. Snow down on the river level has mostly melted off.

This had to have affected the bears as well, normally by now they are able to eat horsetails and other greens, but nothing has really greened up yet. So they have to be darn hungry. Plus all that snow so late. Will be interesting to talk with bios and others down the line and hear what the effects may have been. Sure was the strangest spring we've ever had. Wonder too how it may have affected the fish ... normally we are eating grayling and whitefish by now, not sure how this prolonged late breakup affected their ability to find food and carry on migration up this way. Been out of meat for a while and sure ready to eat some fish! River is gonna have to get a lot lower before I would even think about going out there though.

And yeah, still winter up north, I see Galbraith campground is not accessible still. Along with dead songbirds I also saw some dead ducks ... has to be freaky for all fish and wildlife this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    .....We could not keep sparrows out of the wall tent that night ... the next night it got to 11 degrees, hiked back home to check on things and dozens of dead songbirds all around the yard and in the woods.....

Along with dead songbirds I also saw some dead ducks ... has to be freaky for all fish and wildlife this spring......
    Wow you already had me thinking how totally crazy that is about the songbirds.............but ducks too...???

Freakish is an understatement....!!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Glad to hear you guys are safe, Mark, and that the cabin came through intact.

Saw a cow with two newborn calves yesterday. Willow buds are emerging and I think we will have leaves in a couple of days, then all will be well. But we live in the banana belt. Still, last week it was completely different. You know how it is, on Thursday it was like someone turned on a light switch and we instantly had summer temps. It will change quickly.

Take care out there, Mark!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Greenup started in the Tanana Valley yesterday. Hillsides are turning green as we watch today.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Saw a newborn in my kashwitna spot yesterday
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

saw 22 mature cows with not a single calf at midnight along the highway from delta to paxon lake last night. sad to see no calves... also several bou with not a single calf.

Watched a ewe and lamb yesterday for several hours. I was kicking back at the Eagle River Nature Center cabin and glassing the hills. I only had my binos so it was hard to see exactly what they were doing, but it looked like momma was trying to herd the lamb into some scrub alder. It finally got the hint and disappeared into the brush. No leaves up there yet so I could still make out the ewe but the lamb was well hidden. With the nice turn of weather that one should be fine as long as he can avoid the predators.