Thread: New here...

Default New here...

Hey all, I'm new to duck hunting and have read some of the recent forums on here with the advice to new hunters. I still have two questions though. One would be what is a good call for a beginner to learn on and the second is when you're scouting a new area for the up coming season what type of stuff do you look for that would make it a good spot? Thanks for the advice in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by wvfb163 View Post
    Hey all, I'm new to duck hunting and have read some of the recent forums on here with the advice to new hunters. I still have two questions though. One would be what is a good call for a beginner to learn on and the second is when you're scouting a new area for the up coming season what type of stuff do you look for that would make it a good spot? Thanks for the advice in advance.

Question number 1: Start with a low cost double reed call from a known call maker. You will likely buy a few before you get the one that you like.
    Question number 2: Ducks? Legal access...

Don
    Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
    Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel. Training Versatile Dogs because we hunt it all.
    Memeber of the Alaska Warterfowl Association.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckdon View Post
    Question number 1: Start with a low cost double reed call from a known call maker. You will likely buy a few before you get the one that you like.
    Question number 2: Ducks? Legal access...

Don

Yeah, pretty much any poly call on the shelf you can use to learn the basics and they'll all work to kill ducks. I don't think you need to call as much up here as you do in other parts of the country, though.

As for what to look for - find a marsh/swamp, scout it at sunrise and sunset, if and when you see birds, check maps and BLM to make sure it's legal, and then hunt it! Waterfowl is usually easier to scout because they're usually always flying at sunrise and sunset and you can see where they go down for a mile or two. Easier than spotting big game through miles of alders.

That should at least get you pointed in the right direction. Keep us posted with your progress...

Thanks for the info guys, I'll look into the calls. How far out from season do you usually begin to scout?

Most around here dont scout to much...birds raise their brood here..so most of the guys on this forum already know where they are and where they will hunt...You live just a little drive away from one of the largest areas in Alaksa that has a TON of birds...Hint..."M$$$O F$$$S

PS.. I thought you said you read notes associated with this forum...How could you have missed it..

Seriously...Good luck and welcome to the forum..just having some fun.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Buy a CD/call kit from RNT. Good call and will cover all the basics. Feed call and contented hen call are the ones to focus on first.

The good FBKS info on here can be found in old threads.

Up there you are going to want a river boat to get into the sloughs on the Tanana or that other spot behind Murphy Dome.

Quote Originally Posted by wvfb163 View Post
    Thanks for the info guys, I'll look into the calls. How far out from season do you usually begin to scout?
    Pike Fishing = Scouting. Are you from West Virginia?
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.