Thread: Spider wire or Mono line for Russian Reds

Default Spider wire or Mono line for Russian Reds

We have always used spider wire on the Russian but have found it to sometimes to be a pain due to tangling. Any thoughts on braided line vs mono? What weight Mono are you using?

MONO all the way!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Mono 100%. 20-25#. Crossing lines with other fishermen is common and not something you want to do with braid.

Definitely mono, I use 20-30 depending on what I have on hand. Your not fishing a long enough line to worry about stretch, you don't need it to float, 20# is plenty strong enough, all things considered I see no advantage to braid.

I usually use Power pro (braided) but when I am fishing places like the Russian where its combat fishing (which I avoid mind you lol) I use mono as Braided line is a PIA to untangle when tangled up with another fisherman.

I hate spider wire, there's nothing worse for tangles and most times it's easier to just start cutting...20 - 25 lb mono is plenty strong enough. I make sure it's new fresh line on my reels, and if it starts wearing from casting, I'll cut that chunk off.

If you are using old line it may constantly break off when you hook a fish...I saw someone doing that and they couldn't understand why they weren't getting the fish, I asked how old his line was, and he couldn't remember when it was spooled.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Performance factors aside, mono snags will be easier to break off at the hook rather than cutting from shore. It really ruins a hole for everyone when there are a bunch of 30' sections of cut line hanging through it

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    I hate spider wire, there's nothing worse for tangles and most times it's easier to just start cutting...
    I did not mean to imply that I was cutting line and leaving it the hole...I meant the tangles between two fisher person's lines, I will not fish near someone that is using spider wire for that very reason, who knows, maybe that's why it gets used during combat fishing? After a few tangles with spider wire, it's best to just move away.
    "Grin and Bear It"

i like to use mono in the 25# range due to its increased abrasion qualities, seems like once you start to nick the braid it breaks soon after where you can scar up mono pretty good and it will hang on. also second the break off part, ive snagged braid before and your only real option is to cut, ive never been able to pull on and break off even 20# braid

Shoot when I use braid I go with 50 lb test, I mean hell if your going braid go big or go home lol. I have never had a problem with brade snapping, ever. Only time I have ever had to break it off was if I get snagged and usually it breaks off just above the hook. Its not easy, but if you grab your bail with one hand and hold it (Dont rely on your drag) firmly and pull strait back it has always popped right at the hook for me.

How ever though, I wouldn't use braid on the Russian unless it was all I had. Then again I dont fish there usually because of the crowds.

nothing worse than line twist or bird nest from memory with mono so i use power pro. if ur good u can avoid tangles with others, just be aware of ur surroundings. the only time i use mono is late September and early October but i rather use braid but it freezes up.

i love spider wire (when i'm spinfishing been doing more flyfishing lately). i dont know about for the russian but i use it on the kasilof when im down there. i think it has to be spooled right and make sure swivels are used appropriately. I agree the tangles can be awful but i think you can avoid them most of the time. i've saved a lot of gear by straightening the hooks or opening the o rings just by pulling hard that mono would never do. also brought in some logs and other things. i don't know i guess its up to you. definately pros and cons. mono with some memory can be some of the most useless stuff to try to fish with.

I am going to use 40# flouro this year, due to its "sinkability".

20# Maxima works for me.

I use 25lb Maxima - better results with a snag vs 20lb. Used spider wire last year and was a bad idea combat fishing. Did put on a brand new Maxima last year and went down to the Russian for my birthday. Was hooking them right and left but line kept snapping at the hook. Changed out that night and was able to get my limit the next day in short order.