Thread: Tustumena lake ice

Default Tustumena lake ice

Was looking to go out on tustamena lake and black bear hunt over the weekend and into next week. Was curious as to how much Ice is still on the lake and if it would even be plausible to try it this weekend. Thanks for any help

Quote Originally Posted by AkGoody View Post
    Was looking to go out on tustamena lake and black bear hunt over the weekend and into next week. Was curious as to how much Ice is still on the lake and if it would even be plausible to try it this weekend. Thanks for any help
    As of a couple days ago you still couldn't get past Caribou Is.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thanks for the update. We've got the boat reserved for Sunday thru Thursday. Any thoughts on whether there's a chance it'll be possible? Hate to waste a day driving down to find out it isn't passable when I still have time to flex plans and head out into PWS. Running a 20' Grayling with no cabin so I'll have more limits in the sound..... Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Goody View Post
    Thanks for the update. We've got the boat reserved for Sunday thru Thursday. Any thoughts on whether there's a chance it'll be possible? Hate to waste a day driving down to find out it isn't passable when I still have time to flex plans and head out into PWS. Running a 20' Grayling with no cabin so I'll have more limits in the sound..... Thanks.
    Really no way to tell unless somebody actually goes out there and finds out. Except......you might give F&G or the Forestry Dept. a call to see if anybody has flown over and might know.

I tried on Wednesday- 5/22. I couldn't make it out but it might be possible to sneak along the north bank and get to open water. It can't be long now. A warm day or some wind should break it up.

Ok. AJ is still out.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    Ok. AJ is still out.
    Sorry, but what does this mean...???

Im sure you've been told already or know better but I'll reiterate, don't get over confident on tustumena in a 20' boat. Not trying to be condescending, just throwing it out there. I lost a very good friend in a 20' boat on that lake not too long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Im sure you've been told already or know better but I'll reiterate, don't get over confident on tustumena in a 20' boat. Not trying to be condescending, just throwing it out there. I lost a very good friend in a 20' boat on that lake not too long ago.
    And I was pretty much a MAJOR pucker factor last spring in my 18'.....and I've boated that lake for 30 years. Was your friend the guy with the 4 girls....and one that didn't make it as well?

limon, thanks for insight. I'm fully aware of the lake and the lack of shelter if mother nature doesn't cooperate. I'll have my three sons with me so won't take any chances that doesn't look or feel right. Doesn't mean that much to me. Worst case, I can't get up the lake or the wind doesn't work in my favor, I'll put it back on the trailer and head to Skilak and chase bears and enjoy being out. However, primary goal is to get back into the lake and let the guys chase some bear for a few days. Reserved Pipe Cabin for three nights and just bought a zodiak so we're ready to enjoy a few days disconnected to the electronic world.

limon, thanks for insight. I'm fully aware of the lake and the lack of shelter if mother nature doesn't cooperate. I'll have my three sons with me so won't take any chances that doesn't look or feel right. Doesn't mean that much to me. Worst case, I can't get up the lake or the wind doesn't work in my favor, I'll put it back on the trailer and head to Skilak and chase bears and enjoy being out. However, primary goal is to get back into the lake and let the guys chase some bear for a few days. Reserved Pipe Cabin for three nights and just bought a zodiak so we're ready to enjoy a few days disconnected to the electronic world.
    That's a fantastic place and a neat cabin, you'll have a great time!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    And I was pretty much a MAJOR pucker factor last spring in my 18'.....and I've boated that lake for 30 years. Was your friend the guy with the 4 girls....and one that didn't make it as well?
    Yeah it was. First time he took me up there, we had glassy water for two days and on the way out it blew up to 4' rollers white capping. The guy knew the lake, which has always made his accident a mystery to me. He'd be on it since he was a young kid too.

Sure sorry to hear that. Just one of those freak accidents that just seem to happen.........so hard to understand. You probably remember me telling my story last year. It really was THE most freakish thing I'd ever gotten myself into. I'll admit that I had been on that lake before when I shouldn't really have been. But this took the cake. Every time I think about it I thank my lucky stars for sure. You just can never take that lake for granted.......Skilak can be the same way.

I would think its passable by now. The last time I looked at it was monday though so its a guess.

The marine forecast is looking pretty good for Cook Inlet and Kachemak Bay so if you boat in the mornings you should be good to go.
    http://www.arh.noaa.gov/wmofcst.php?...FC&type=marine