Thread: Bear Sausage?

Default Bear Sausage?

After a buddy gave me some bear pepper sticks I would like to get some made, and maybe some bacon too. I just got a bear yesterday, so I'm looking for a place I can drop him off. I've heard most of the game processors around the valley and Anchorage won't do bear meat, so I'm wondering if anybody has any advice on one that will, and makes good stuff. Thanks.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Mat-Valley Meats processed bear meat, at least until recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Brain View Post
    Mat-Valley Meats processed bear meat, at least until recently.

I think the issue with Mat Valley is that they won't guarantee your own meat back on any smoked products unless you have a 100 lb minimum. Since he asked about pepper sticks and it's a spring bear, I'll safely rule that one out for him!

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    I think the issue with Mat Valley is that they won't guarantee your own meat back on any smoked products unless you have a 100 lb minimum......
    Huh. That's getting to be a trend. It's getting tough to find a processor who guarantees one's own meat back.

When my wife took a bear last fall we took half of it to Indian Valley for bacon and the other half to Glenn's Wild Game for bacon burger (burger with bacon ends ground into it). Both gave us our own meat back and both are excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    When my wife took a bear last fall we took half of it to Indian Valley for bacon and the other half to Glenn's Wild Game for bacon burger (burger with bacon ends ground into it). Both gave us our own meat back and both are excellent.

Brian,

You're echoing my suggestions to him on the way back from the KP yesterday.

^^^^^ Thanks for those tips. I knew Indian Valley would give you your own meat back, but never heard of Glenn's. The bacon burger sounds super good!

Thanks guys, I got in touch with the lady at Pioneer meats, she says she will take it, and their sausage is some of the best I've ever eaten

^^^^^ Thanks for those tips. I knew Indian Valley would give you your own meat back, but never heard of Glenn's. The bacon burger sounds super good!
    Glenn's is awesome - great product and even better service. We dropped off our bear meat last fall and had the ground burger back 18 hours later. Crazy fast compared to other local services.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Thanks guys, I got in touch with the lady at Pioneer meats, she says she will take it, and their sausage is some of the best I've ever eaten
    Excellent choice! Lisa at Pioneer Meats did two black bears into pioneer slims and teriyaki a couple years back, and they are hands down the best sausage we have ever had made, by her or anyone.

Just as a heads up, it's my understanding that she prefers not to process bears during her busy season (September) due to the intensive cleaning her equiptment required afterwards. Figured if we ever had fall bear to do that I would just freeze the quarters until she slowed down enough to process them for me. The risk of trichonosis in black bears though quite rare, is real, and I prefer to have black bear turned into cooked sausage products for that reason...

Glenn's makes great raw sausage. They do not make their own cooked/smoked meats. These are sent to Indian Valley the last and only time I had him make some summer sausage. It was a horrible product: summer sausage seasoned saw dust. I am not even sure it was caribou we got back.

Glenn's long time customers take in old meat from prior seasons and have him turn that into raw sausage or the bacon burger in the late winter or spring.

Indian Valley gets hammered regularly on these forums as much as they get loved. For me I can't understand how a company that retails wonderful products in many stores, can produce stuff that my dog balks at. I have a few of the steaks left from that caribou and he still tastes great, so it was not a matter of poor meat care on my part. I do buy Indian Valley meat products off a store shelf, but I will never let them process my own game meat again.

Try Mike's Meats in Eagle River. I know he has made both products in the past, and when I talked to them last fall, the crew said that they accept black bear meat

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

if you deside to make any of your own.. let me know i have some AWESOME breakfast sausage recipes that are great with Black bear. its out favorite sausage patty!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

If I get another bear I'll take you up on that, I'm heading out tomorrow to try and get another one, tried tonight but didn't see anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post

Grind you get your own meat back anywhere. Smoked products like summer sausage, pepper sticks, hot dogs, polish whatever, you never get your own meat back cause its simpler for them in big batches. IVM will lie to your face and tell you yes for everything, but it's just that, a lie, so just expect to get a pooled meat product back. I still do it, even tho I know 100% it's not all of my own meat. Mat Valley meats is honest about it and I like him and he has the best summer sausage in state! Black bear makes great summer sausage!!!

My proof over the years is sand in meat, when nowhere near any sand ever or dirt for that matter! Plus we clean our meats super good. Last fact was eating a caribou hot dog from IVM from our 2011 hunt up north where we used .22lr to the back of the heads, and the 10mm had complete pass throughs in the in head/neck area. Ate a hot dog last week, had a crunch, worked the sliver to the front of my mouth carefully, picked it out, and............................................... ......it was a chunk of a thick copper jacket!! HMMM........don't gotta be a rocket sceintist to figure that one out! For those skeptics, the 10mm was hardcast least, gas check is super thin, and even then woulda caught in the neck meat, but shots were right tight to the head! Still gonna use them, but just FYI, they will lie to your face every time! I still ask just for the giggles!

I've had no problems with Indian Valley other than I don't like their pepperoni - more like pizza pepperoni than snack sticks. I'm a fan of AK Sausage & Seafood for cooked products, but they don't take bears at all, and they also (honestly) pool the meat for sausage products. I'm a huge fan of Glenn's for basic processing, and I LOVE his chorizo. Wanted to take in a bear for bacon burger, but didn't get one during my abbreviated hunt. I'd also like to try Pioneer sometime; not as convenient for me, but I'll give it a try some time.