Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too late

Unhappy Too late

Over the years there have been many a rifle that I thought about getting and when I thought I might actually seriously consider it, they went and discontinued it!

Examples would be; several chamberings in the Remington 700 Classic series like .300 H&H, .250 Savage, 7X57 and 7mm Weatherby Mag. Also, Rugers' 77 in .358 Win. (short run) and Winchesters' 94 big bore in .356 Win. (mentioned that one and the .375 Win. in another thread).

Oh yeah, there's also the Rem. 700 CDL in .280 Rem. and a Win. 70 Super Grade in .264 Win. Mag. I'm sure there's some others as well that don't readily come to mind.

Any you guys let get away?

Dave

Talking don't remind me!!

The Remington 788 (LH)............. in any caliber......................... Now I'm beginning to reconsider downsizing my gun vault..........darn.............!!!!!!

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

When I still had my FFL I had ordered in a Winchester Model 70 Sporter Classic in 325 WSM. I sold it after about a week in inventory. Wouldn't you know it that a month later Winchester announces that they were closing down the Model 70 factory. That one was hard enough to get my hands on and I'm not about too pay blackmail prices for another one. So I will just keep my brass, dies and bullets for when the time comes to build one.

For me it was a R-700 in 8mm Remington Magnum.
    It wasn't the rifle itself that put me in awe as much as it was the overall size of the round... it just looked bigger, stronger and faster. Back then, in central Ohio in the 70's - what was I going to shoot with such a powerful round? Ohio Hunting laws are shotgun slug or muzzleloader only on deer. Besides, I just could not afford to buy a rifle that I would not use at the time. I must own over 100 guns now-a-days, but I have never bought a 8mm Rem Mag... I let it get away.
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great

It's never too late to remember the good things. Guns and reloading for over 60 years of fond memories and the joy of looking through my loading manuals. I started with the bare bones in reloading (a lead dipper and tin can a sizing die a .32 ACP case with soldered handle that dipped a charge of around 5 grains red dot, If I remember right . I casted 173 grain lyman bullets and loaded them to shoot rats at the town dump with my '357 4" highway patrolman(What Fun) and always traiding guns and a new one now and then until I have my safe full of the guns that made the worthyness test. What a joy in reloading!!

Default They're Back

Quote Originally Posted by AlleninAlaska View Post
    When I still had my FFL I had ordered in a Winchester Model 70 Sporter Classic in 325 WSM. I sold it after about a week in inventory. Wouldn't you know it that a month later Winchester announces that they were closing down the Model 70 factory. That one was hard enough to get my hands on and I'm not about too pay blackmail prices for another one. So I will just keep my brass, dies and bullets for when the time comes to build one.
    Saw an advertisement today the MODEL 70 is back in production.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Too Late.

The Rem. 600 in .350 Rem. Mag. Darn it! I hated the plastic.

Old Guy! Welcome!. I'm one of those broken-down ridge creepers, too.
    Making dippers out of cartridge cases? Reminds me of my older brother. He could make a dipper to load anything. I carried his dippers for years for muzzleloader hunting with him. Also for reloading. Used to swage our own bullets with pure copper and pure lead. Worked great. He could solder anything to anything, built his own carbon arc cutter, could weld anything. Self taught. Big-bore, heavy bullet man. He loved the '95 .30-40 though, and wasn't afraid to use it on anything. I grew up learning from him. If he needed it, he built it or traded for it. Shot at Camp Perry National Matches every year with pistols. Packed a .45 in town,, .44 mag in the woods. Used cast bullets a lot. Beat the snot out of the Mafia one time when they were dumb enough to threaten him. Bad day at Black Rock for them. Those were the days. We backpacked and carried out the meat. We never backed down! It was great to be young then.

Hang onto those guns you are GLAD you bought. Shoot 'em. Keep making those bullets and stuffing those cases and remembering the good times, the great hunts, the best fights, the most accurate loads, the sweetest moose meat and elk. Hang onto your recipies for grouse and ptarmigan!
    Jack.

The gun safe? Mine too is full of sweeties, so accurate and so good they could never be sold. This is evolution in action. The mediocre or those of limited utility go away.

I'd give my left nut (don't much need it anyway) to sit around a campfire with some of you guys. I wouldn't have to say a word, just listen!

My old buddy Butch and I used to mold bullets until we couldn't stand it anymore then we'd play a game of chess and then mold some more bullets. We had 5 gallon buckets full of bullets, lubed and sized with gas checks.

We both had L frame Smiths and we shot the heck out of them. We had the two dirtiest L frames in the world but there weren't no sense in cleaning them cuz they was just gonna get shot again the next day.

At the same time there was a little gun shop in town called Rose's gun shop. He had on his shelf a little Martini Cadet falling block rifle. It was in some odd ball caliber used over in Europe. Anyway the owner of the shop got a hold of some barrel stock in 38 caliber and we went to work cutting threads and reamed that little rascal out to 357 mag. I think I shot up a whole 5 gallon bucket of them hard cast bullets through that little gun one at a time. I don't know for sure what ever happened to that gun but the last I can remember it was resting in a set of deer antlers above the door in the that tiny gun shop. There have been many a good gun slip through these hands over the years and that was certainly one of them! That was thirty years ago...wow!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I'd give my left nut (don't much need it anyway) to sit around a campfire with some of you guys. I wouldn't have to say a word, just listen!
    X2! This has been one the most enjoyable threads I've had the privilege to read in a long time. Thanks guys for the trips down memory lane.

Woody

Default M77 .35 Whelen

For too many years I wasn't watching the factory gun scene , if it wasn't a 98 Mauser big-bore I wasn't looking . Ruger chambered the 77 for .35 Whelen for a short while , good combination ,I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I saw one . The .35 could feel a little lowly kicking brownies out of the bushes but other than that it's a great cartridge , a better looking .35 rem. mag. with a much more interesting history . A question for all the old time gun nuts , I've heard people complaining in print that Ruger 77's weren't that accurate but I've owned a half dozen and they have all been tackdrivers . What's your opinion-

I'd be agreein with ya. Never had a bad one! Can't say they all shot MOA but then the only critter that I know of with MOA vitals is a mouse!

Default Guns I missed and a few I got

Regrets of guns I missed: S&W Mdl. 27 5 screw, NM 1903 Springfield, pre-64 Mdl 70 in .375 H&H, GI NM 1911A-1, many of the Mausers you used to find in near new condition. Also wished I had picked up a number of the full autos you could registure for free during the amesty.

Did get my share of keepers including my first 3 nice guns: a near new Mdl 97 riot gun, a S&W Mdl 28 Highway Partrolman 5 screw, and a new Rem. 1903-A3 in a Herter's stock I paid $35 silver dollars for in early - mid 60s. Paid for all of these with money from my paper route.

One of the many guns I really regret selling was a Mdl 93 Spanish Mauser I paid $7 or $8 for at a Knoxville, TN gun show in the early 60s. It was a filthy greasy mess on the dealers table. When I got it home and cleaned it up I saw the whole butt of the gun was stained black from blood, the butt plate was heavily rusted and crusted from blood, and the whole butt was covered with half moon marks from teeth that it smashed out. Likewise the barrel was rusted and heavily pitted under the handguards and you could tell where the blood had ran back from the muzzle from being used with a bayonet. Gruesome gun but a genuine real war relic if I ever saw one. I wish I had kept and preserved it but ended up trading it in on a motorcyle in 63 or 64 when I was in high school.

Used to take the 03-A3 to the range about every Sat. after I mounted a $40 Weaver K4 on it. I could consistantly put my first 3 shots in a 1/2" c-c group at 100 yds. If I shot 2 more to make a 5 shot group it always opennd up to 1" c-c. Load was 58 gr. of 4350 behind a 150 gr. Sierra splitzer. Bullets were around $3.50 box and powder was $1.70 lb. but i was only making $1.50 - $2.00 hr. as a poor student. Out grouped a lot of Mdl 70s and other rifles of the day and made a lot of shooters feel bad to get out done by a kid with an old 2 groove springfield.

Worse for me than the ones I didn't buy, are the ones I had and let go foolishly. Have to admit that they sometimes paid bills that weren't going to get paid any other way. But man, it hurts to look back on some I used to own. How about a lefthanded premium grade Anschutz in 22 mag? Then there was the pre-64 Model 70 collection I sold to put myself through college. Yeah, 23 of them in some of the most desirable and rarest calibers. And biggest tears of all, a Parker 28 gauge. Sniff......

Default Expensive education

Dang - you spent a lot of $$ to go to school! Hope you are making some major money now.

When I started in the Univ. of TN in the summer of '65 the tuition was $75 a quarter - it was $125 when I finished. I never got a high school diploma- when I qualified I went straight to college for 15 quarters straight to get my BS EE degree when I was still 21. Since I lived at home I bet my total BS degree was less than $3000. Being very poor and of draft age was a big incentive to finish up school and make some $$. Beside some guns I bought a new Corvette in 69 after I graduated- ah the days to have money to spend on guns, cars, whiskey, and women.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Worse for me than the ones I didn't buy, are the ones I had and let go foolishly. Have to admit that they sometimes paid bills that weren't going to get paid any other way. But man, it hurts to look back on some I used to own. How about a lefthanded premium grade Anschutz in 22 mag? Then there was the pre-64 Model 70 collection I sold to put myself through college. Yeah, 23 of them in some of the most desirable and rarest calibers. And biggest tears of all, a Parker 28 gauge. Sniff......

Default once had

A factory engraved Model 95 in .405 , sold it for $1400 in 98 . A Savage 99 EG in .358 Winchester , traded it for a 1911 Auto in 94 . I traded a beat up 71 for two straight stock 95 Marlin .45-70's in 94 . I lost a 95 Winchester rechambered to .35 Whelen , an 86 .45-70 ultra lite and a custom 98 .458 in a tough divorce . The last custom rifle I built (.358 Norma Mag on a 98 ) was lifted out of my truck at Fred Meyers in Fbks .

Default Long lost guns

I've bought a few guns over the years from people that were getting divorced - poor souls. Women are replaceable but a lost gun is usually gone forever. I don't recall that I ever got a really good gun out of a divorce sale, usually it was just about helping out a friend and buying a gun I sold later.

Fortunately I've somehow managed to keep my first wife and many of my guns for nearly 36 years now. She has put up with a lot including three moves in one year (1981) when we moved from Alabama to Texas to Alaska. If this dang cold weather doesn't warm up soon though I maybe moving down south.

Quote Originally Posted by logman View Post
    . I lost a 95 Winchester rechambered to .35 Whelen , an 86 .45-70 ultra lite and a custom 98 .458 in a tough divorce . .

There are a lot of ways a guy can loose. When I married, my wife took over my personal Deer blind and my 20 ga Rem 1100 with the Deer BBL. Now that will get you a bunch of mixed feelings. My Brother came along that summer and had a Stevens 12 double like new that he thought he got as a steel and figured I would buy it from him (he is not a gunman) I did not want to hurt his feelings so I said no thats not for me, so he gave it to me for a wedding present.(I still didn't want it but took it) Later the idea came to me to fix it up for my wife as a slug Buck gun. I wacked the BBL"s to 22" and cut the stock, put a pad on run some crude sights on the mill and when it was done I snapped it to my shoulder and I knew I had something special. I went to the back deck and I had clumps of clay in the back yord I drew down on one and wham I exploded it at 30 yds I knew there was no chance of the other tube doing the same thing but I therw in another round and WOW they hit close .Each will hit a grape fruit easily at 30 yds with no problem . I sight the left BBL right on and the right one will be 3" to the right. It has got me some nice Deer and I only touched the front trigger one time. It's a sweetie 9# with Leo 11/2-5 . 3-4 # on each trigger Its my go to gun, I will only part with that when I breath no longer. Good things can happen when you least expect it.

Hey whateveri8, I'm with you. I'm also from Ohio and was fasinated by the 8mm rem mag. I allways wanted one but they went out of production before I could afford it. But then last summer I bought one. If you are still interested: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=24940

It may just turn out to be my favorite up here.

I fumbled twice on opportunities to snatch up a LH Chuck Daly Mauser. Now Remington stepped in and scewed things up by not offering them in LH.

BTW if anyone know where I can find one.............feel free to contact me.

My Scottish miserliness caused me to pass up a S&W Mountain Gun in .45 Colt last spring too.
    Now what ?

I foolishly sold a mint Python made in 1964, my birth year, needed the $ to buy a .44 mag. I really wanted. I got the .44 and it was stolen from me months later. Dang it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast