Thread: Who still looks at the "Outdoor Optics" forum?

Default Who still looks at the "Outdoor Optics" forum?

So seeing a recent post (http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...Spotting-Scope) moved to the Outdoor Optics forum has made me curious... how many forum members still find value in the Outdoor Optics forum page?

Now I mean this with no disrespect to Doug or any of the crew at Camera Land, as I think they run a great business and I have purchased optics from them several times, BUT... I have long since grown tired of searching through the multitude of Camera Land updates/sales/news/specials for actual posts from AOD forum members. For instance, a quick count today shows that 20 out of 30 posts on the first page of the Outdoor Optics forum are from Doug at Camera Land. Of the 10 posts from other members, 4 have gone without reply - leaving me to believe very few people have ever seen them (we all know folks around here usually aren't shy to chip in there $.02 on gear).

As a result, I personally haven't visited the Outdoor Optics page in a long time for this reason... posts from the forum community are inundated with posts from Camera Land. And I'm wondering if I'm alone there? I suspect that many of the questions posted in that forum go largely unanswered, though people have the information, or excellent posts on reviews/field experience go unseen by those who might find the posts useful.

Now I dislike people who complain without posing some idea for a solution, so I have two ideas...
    #1: allow optics posts related to hunting to remain in the general hunting forum, or
    #2: create a "Outdoor Optics Advertising" subforum for Doug to post Camera Land news, specials, etc. and clean up the Outdoor Optics forum.
    My vote is for #2. Because as far as I'm concerned, that forum is currently useless, unless I'm in the mood to spend some money at Camera Land. Perhaps if people could easily find there way through the past posts, we wouldn't get a "I'm looking for a new spotting scope" post every week.

Sincerely,
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

What thread belongs to which forum is wishywashy at best. Are gun questions best on the hunting forum or shooting forum. All types of gear here or outdoor gear. To many forums to much over lap.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Frankly, I fined 90% of the sub-forums on here to be useless and little trafficked. Actually they are worse than useless since I have to scroll through dozens of unused sub-forums to find the handful that get traffic. Not fun on my slooow home connection or a sat link from the bush.

A ruthless knife to the AOD forums would make this whole thing easier to use for all of us.

Yk

Personally, I don't frequent any of the specific forums or sub forums. I use the "New Posts" and "Activity Stream" pages. If I have been gone for a day or so, I use the "New Posts" to quickly skim through anything new since I was last on here, no matter what the forum/sub forum. If I am going to be on the computer for a while, I will open the "Activity Stream" page and just skip back to that tab every once in a while to see what has just popped up. The only times I go to any specific forum or sub-forum is when I might be just bored and want to skim a certain subject or if I am looking for a specific post that I know was in there (like tyring to find a post a week or two ago about a certain canoe, I would just jump to the canoe forum and see if it is still near the top, if not I would just "search" for it). With people posting things in places they shouldn't be in the first place or just posting something that covers topics that span multiple forums, it would be easy to miss a post you might be interested in by just looking at a specific forum.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Personally, I don't frequent any of the specific forums or sub forums. I use the "New Posts" and "Activity Stream" pages. If I have been gone for a day or so, I use the "New Posts" to quickly skim through anything new since I was last on here, no matter what the forum/sub forum. If I am going to be on the computer for a while, I will open the "Activity Stream" page and just skip back to that tab every once in a while to see what has just popped up. The only times I go to any specific forum or sub-forum is when I might be just bored and want to skim a certain subject or if I am looking for a specific post that I know was in there (like tyring to find a post a week or two ago about a certain canoe, I would just jump to the canoe forum and see if it is still near the top, if not I would just "search" for it). With people posting things in places they shouldn't be in the first place or just posting something that covers topics that span multiple forums, it would be easy to miss a post you might be interested in by just looking at a specific forum.
    That method brings up far to many posts that I'm just not interested in. With the amount of overall traffic on this site, I don't want to sort through 100 posts that, while worthwhile to others, may not be worth while to me. Your method basically makes everything into one big forum (you see EVERYTHING posted). I still like sub-forums, but would prefer far, far less of them. Sort of splitting the difference between what you do and what I currently am forced to do.

Yk

I do what anchskier above references - I use the "new posts" feature and browse for that which interests me. The specific forums aide in helping folks who are just here reading or who post infrequently look for the information they need. As for the optics forum, it would be better populated with informational threads if more people posted their optics questions there instead of here in the hunting forum....(or if I were more consistent about moving such threads).

The subforums largely have come about at member request, and while some don't get much traffic (skiing, biking, etc), they serve a purpose as a repository of activity-specific information that would otherwise get lost in the larger forums. In addition, they provide avenues for sponsors to reach target audiences. I know that people don't come here for the ads, but it is a reality that this site would not exist if not for the support of our sponsors. To be clear, it's not that the site would be less profitable - it would not exist at all without sponsors and providing specific avenues for them to reach the outdoors community is thus something we have to provide.

I agree with the OP. What is really irritating/weird is sometimes there is a little post saying it was moved. In this case, I didn't see a "moved" post. I had commented on this post when it was in the hunting forum and was curious what had been going on....it took me about 5 minutes of looking for it when I realized that someone probably moved it to the optics forum.

I agree that most of the stuff in the optics forum is advertising rather than discussions about optics.

Not sure what the best solution is, because I don't want it all in one spot cluttering everything up. But I also don't want to have to wade through dozens of different forums to see what I want to see.

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    In this case, I didn't see a "moved" post. I had commented on this post when it was in the hunting forum and was curious what had been going on....it took me about 5 minutes of looking for it when I realized that someone probably moved it to the optics forum.
    The "moved" link is there - it's currently about 2/3 of the way down the first page of the hunting forum. I generally set the moved links to expire after a month.

I'd go with #2 option. I occasionally check the optics forum for Cameraland's sale items, but most optic questions I've asked or read are in the Gear section, which is much more useful.

I've no qualms with doug posting deals on the optics forum, after all, he's pays the cash to advertise, and it aint cheap to do so. Some sub forums here see very little activity, so it's just the nature of such diverse forums.

The climbing, surfing, dog mushing, even the float hunting forum seem to get very little traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    Who still looks at the "Outdoor Optics" forum?
    You know, I thought I did, but wondered why I kept only seeing posts about microscopes, jeweler's magnifiers, View Masters, and bifocals. Then, I just realized I have been accidentally looking at the "Indoor Optics" forum instead.

Seriously, though, the OP is correct. I have bought thousands of dallars of stuff from CameraLand and consider them my favorite source. But THEY almost certainly would get more views if they would not drown the Optics Forum (the outdoors one) in their forum-post advertising. Not stop, but just be more selective. Strike less often and when something really cool is worht mentioning. I.e., don't cry wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    ... I use the "new posts" feature and browse for that which interests me. The specific forums aide in helping folks who are just here reading or who post infrequently look for the information they need. ...
    Brian, I may be missing your point, but if not, you're incorrect--at least for a lot of people. For long stretches, I have looked a lot on here and even contributed as a member. But I rarely ever look at the "new posts." Perhaps my approach is uncommon, but I doubt it. I could be wrong.

I did just look though, and there are 50 posts in the last 4 hours. You're basic concept may be correct that the more-frequent (i.e., very frequent) visitors are best suited to look over all recent posts, but there is a big gap between those poeple and people who "who post infrequently." I believe this in part because there are/have been people who post A LOT on the shooting forums, who are unaware of shooting-related posts found elsewhere because ... they don't look elsewhere. I, for example, have a specific "favorites" link to: the shooting forum, the handguns forum, and the hunting forum. I occasionally look at other places. But not often enough to look through 50 new posts every four hours for what I want. (I used to do so a little more often in the past when there were certain topics bubbling fit for certain forums no longer in action here, but that is besides the point I suppose).

I am the same way on the 24-hr CF site and others.

For example, I am a fanatical KU Jayhawks basketball fan, but could mostly care less about KU football, baseball, Lacrosse, etc ... So, I have a link to the hoops stuff on the main KU sports site, and never look at the new post option there. I like KU basktball, shooting, hunting, etc ... I don't want to have to fliter out a lot of posts about KU swimming, or saltwater fishing, ammo dumping, swapping and selling, gardening, prospecting, bowhunting, power boating, ATVing, fishery managing, airboating, etc ... I would love to be able to read all that and do more of those things, and admire those who do, but can't do everything or read everything. I have bought some nice optics from Camerland, but if I hadn't discovered them, I might be more likely to make a first-time purchase from them if hunting optics were allowed to be discussed in the hunting forum, and someone recommended them in that forum. JMHO.