Thread: Denali Hwy. Road Conditions

Default Denali Hwy. Road Conditions

I'm curious if anyone can tell me what the current road conditions are like on the Denali Hwy. between Cantwell and Paxson. Heading up there between May 30th & June 5th in an RV, but don't want to waste our time/fuel if the road isn't passable just yet. Alaska 511 has no real info about current road conditions.

Thanks all!

As of today it is not passable as of yet. A quick call to Alpine creek lodge. Mcclaren river lodge or Tangle Lakes as time gets closer would be your best bed
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Just a few minutes ago I talked to a guy who had some work up at Tangle Lakes today. He said they made it in to Tangle but much snow around. He apparently talked to plow operators there and they told him that the Cantwell side had completed their 60 mile section but the paxson side was having difficulties with drifting and recent snows. He said they had plows, blowers, and some other fancy pivet blade and were trying to connect to the Cantwell side but were unsure when the task would be complete.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

DOT is plowing tomorrow and Friday. They are staying with us. They made it to MP 58 from the Cantwell side today. The Paxson side is between MP 16 and 20, depending on how fast the road blows in behind them. They are in a big rush to get it open, so I'm guessing they will have it open in a week. At this point, the Cantwell station has plans to plow to Maclaren Summit, and the Paxson crew will plow to that point and meet up. I expect it to be open by the end of next week. Bring snow machines! We'll be riding in June this year!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

This may be relevant:

BLM-Alaska Announces Recreation Facility Status for Memorial Day Weekend

http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/info/new...5-22-2013.html

I'm heading to Paxson in two days for a 2 or 3 day crossing of Denali...what do you think about conditions and a 40 foot 5th wheel?

Default Conditions Denali Highway

The highway is in pretty good shape at this point. Lot of new gravel in places, so bring a spare tire or two. We are fixing 3 to 5 flats a day here. Not a lot of potholes, as the lack of rain has kept it decent. Lot's of dust! Close your vents. Good luck! Claude

As I sit here in Cantwell a day after Paxton the answer is it can be done in a 40' fifth wheel albeit SLOWLY. Most of the time it was 25mph or less. Thanks for the experienced insight Claude. Sorry I didn't stop in but the driveway looked too steep.

Hmmmm. I thought it was the best I've seen it in a long time, maybe ever. No washboard, hardly any gotcha potholes, and dust wasnt bad as long as you kept it at 45 or under, the campground host at Tangle lakes told me they been hitting it with calcium chloride to keep the dust down. Beautiful drive....

I agree, the road condition is good but it the hundred miles of dirt road is difficult for the 5th wheel and stiff suspension. I might add that my 70y old mother-in-law was in the back seat bouncing for two days. I would be okay with it but I like her.

Any new updates on the road condition??
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Road is decent, but not excellent. Recent rains put some potholes down and roughed it up, but nothing too bad.

Thanks Claude, weare staying at your place on the 31st. Looking forward to our first fist there!!
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"