Thread: K-bay summer bears

Default K-bay summer bears

I have looked around and can not find any info for bear care in the hot hot Alaska summer. I'm not to worried about the hide as it would rubbed out but the meat is very valuable to me. What are some of the things you guys do to keep the meet temps down when out? These bears are up high and it will take time to get them out and to a butcher.

Are you talking black bears on Kachemak Bay or what? It certainly doesn't get "hot hot" around here in summer; hang your quarters, keep them shaded and dry with a tarp (and a breeze blowing across them if possible), they'll keep fine for several days.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Yes black. Brown close on the 31st. Hot hot was a joke I know all to well the weather in k-bay. I'm not an expert in bear meat treatment and was just looking for care info. Thanks

I guess my concern is I was always told to treat bear like pigs. I never hung my pigs in CA. Just chilled and butchered.

I don't think he means to hang the meat to age it, but rather to hang it if you need to camp on your way out so as to keep it cool with plenty of air circulating around it. Given the normal temps, you should have a few days to get it home if you keep it dry and as cool as possible. If you're up high and there are snow chutes in the area, it wouldn't hurt to bury it in snow for a few hours or overnight to get it chilled, but only do so if you can keep an eye on it so that it doesn't get dug up by another bear or other scavengers.

Never thought of the snow thing thanks.

Unless we get some kind of crazy heat wave going on, I sure wouldn't worry about it. It just doesn't get hot enough around here to cause meat to spoil that quick......unless of course the meat gets/stays damp or wet and you can't get it home in fairly short order. If the weather is good after you kill it and you're able to cool it down good that first night, and get a nice crust on it, it will last for many days like that no problem. The main thing, if you're going to be out very long is to get a good crust on the meat.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Two things. Get it cool quick and keep the bugs off.. Hangin in the shade with a breeze works great and cools it quick. Brian's idea is a great one too just make sure the meat stays dry to keep from rotting.. If no where to hang pile up brush so the air can circulate.. Just think of it like this... Sit on the couch and stick your hand under your leg and see how hot it gets... That's what you don't want so dont lay meat on the ground... Not sure how long you plan on being out but if hanging for days as said having a good crust on the meat is what your after. A trick we use from time to time if butchering in the rain was to get the meat hung and Wipe it dry and wipe it with a little blood to help crust it.. For bugs I use a spray bottle and my mix of lemon Juice and tabasco the lemon juice serves as citric acid( they have cool little packets of this stuff too) the Tabasco keeps the meat from getti g a nice coating of alaska rice( blow fly eggs or simply put maggots) proper care from the beginning will make the end result much tastier...