Thread: How to fish roe on a fly rod

Default How to fish roe on a fly rod

I've heard from some of my fishing colleagues that fish around the state that a lot of anglers fish roe from a fly rod on the Kenai and Kasilof rivers. How is this done. Is it dead drifted under a indicator on a floating line or is a small weight used to hold the roe close to the bottom. Ive heard this method is very popular on the Kasilof ? Can anyone advise on the same....... Cheers

Roe (or any live/natural bait) would not be legal upstream from Skilak Lake.
    You might want to ask this question on the fresh water fishing forum, rather than the fly fishing forum.

What's the point of using roe on a fly rod?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Roe (or any live/natural bait) would not be legal upstream from Skilak Lake.
    You might want to ask this question on the fresh water fishing forum, rather than the fly fishing forum.
    this some how seems VERY SACRILEGIOUS to me. And no it is not done often with a fly rod, and truth be told you really don't need to. Now with that being said, you can use bait on both streams when it is allowed, good luck with that this year, I am pretty sure you wont get that option until Aug. As for bait on the Kenai River, you can only use bait from the Upper Keilly River (SP?) down stream.

I am not going to judge you for using bait, but if you choose to trout fish with bait please be careful as they will inhale it deep and could cause you to have to release a fish that is less then likely to make it.

Before all the purists crucify poor Micky, let's just make sure we're all on the same page. From his other recent posts, he may very well be asking with regards to targetting silvers or even kings. And while the king run is shaping up to be another bust, I'm certainly not going to begrudge the guy if he wants to fish bait to put a couple silvers in the box.

It could also very well be that by "roe" he's referring to beads, as I certainly haven't heard of people using actual roe with a fly rod on the Kenai (and how the hell would you cast and keep any on the hook?).

All you need to do to catch fish on the upper Kenai in Aug-Oct is peg one of these (8mm)
    http://shop.troutbeads.ihoststudio.c...roductid=MB-07
    http://shop.troutbeads.ihoststudio.c...roductid=MB-01
    http://shop.troutbeads.ihoststudio.c...roductid=MB-09
    http://shop.troutbeads.ihoststudio.c...roductid=MB-06
    2" above a size 6 or 8 short-shank, straight-eye hook using these
    http://shop.troutbeads.ihoststudio.c...ductid=TBPG-WT
    on a 9' to 11' leader going down to 8lb ultragreen or fluro tippet with say a 3/0 and BB splitshot 18" to 24" above the hook. Fish under an indicator.
    Diverge from that in any way you see fit, but that will put you into fish.

Also, what's so sacrilegious... most of the crap we tie on the end of our lines just barely qualify as flies. Beads, flesh flies, huge streamers... just a couple generations ago a dolly llama or sculpzilla would have been considered a lure rather than a fly. In my younger days I used to superglue live grasshoppers onto a size 12 dry fly hook when conditions got tough in the WY high country. A fly rod is just another tool to catch fish - it's not the pinnacle of angling evolution to everyone who picks one up.

Cheers,
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    Before all the purists crucify poor Micky, let's just make sure we're all on the same page. From his other recent posts, he may very well be asking with regards to targetting silvers or even kings. And while the king run is shaping up to be another bust, I'm certainly not going to begrudge the guy if he wants to fish bait to put a couple silvers in the box.

It could also very well be that by "roe" he's referring to beads, as I certainly haven't heard of people using actual roe with a fly rod on the Kenai (and how the hell would you cast and keep any on the hook?).

All you need to do to catch fish on the upper Kenai in Aug-Oct is peg one of these (8mm)
    http://shop.troutbeads.ihoststudio.c...roductid=MB-07
    http://shop.troutbeads.ihoststudio.c...roductid=MB-01
    http://shop.troutbeads.ihoststudio.c...roductid=MB-09
    http://shop.troutbeads.ihoststudio.c...roductid=MB-06
    2" above a size 6 or 8 short-shank, straight-eye hook using these
    http://shop.troutbeads.ihoststudio.c...ductid=TBPG-WT
    on a 9' to 11' leader going down to 8lb ultragreen or fluro tippet with say a 3/0 and BB splitshot 18" to 24" above the hook. Fish under an indicator.
    Diverge from that in any way you see fit, but that will put you into fish.

Also, what's so sacrilegious... most of the crap we tie on the end of our lines just barely qualify as flies. Beads, flesh flies, huge streamers... just a couple generations ago a dolly llama or sculpzilla would have been considered a lure rather than a fly. In my younger days I used to superglue live grasshoppers onto a size 12 dry fly hook when conditions got tough in the WY high country. A fly rod is just another tool to catch fish - it's not the pinnacle of angling evolution to everyone who picks one up.

Cheers,
    Rich
    The sacrilegious part is using bait with a fly rod, not to mention the difficulties you mentioned Rich when it isn't necessary to catch fish let alone big fish. And like I said I am not judging for using bait, I fish with people who use bait and could care less, I just notice fish swallow that stuff and it has a higher chance of getting lodged deeper in the mouth/throat/gills. If he is in fact talking about beads that would just constitute the language barrier the pond creates.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    In my younger days I used to superglue live grasshoppers onto a size 12 dry fly hook
    Now there's somethin' I never thought about. I've used live grasshoppers before yes, but superglue...???......lol

Oh and btw......I have used a chunk on roe before with my fly rod when I was trying to catch trout to eat for dinner. Here again, I'm not a devout fly fisherman either.........far from it. But I'd like to learn. You may have to show me the ropes someday Rich.........lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I have seen roe (yes eggs) more and more used to target salmon on the fly rods. Kasilof and smaller streams seem to be getting hit harder than the bigger rivers. Can't say I'm a fan of it, but it is done. Most often it is simply an egg looped hook with no sinkers or bobbers. Just a simple slow underhand toss upstream into the current and raising the rod to keep it tumbling just on bottom as it flows downstream. Occasionally someone may fish a certain run of a set depth and in that case MAY opt for the indicator ( bobber) on the line. No typical fly casting involved either way.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    I have seen roe (yes eggs) more and more used to target salmon on the fly rods. Kasilof and smaller streams seem to be getting hit harder than the bigger rivers. Can't say I'm a fan of it, but it is done. Most often it is simply an egg looped hook with no sinkers or bobbers. Just a simple slow underhand toss upstream into the current and raising the rod to keep it tumbling just on bottom as it flows downstream. Occasionally someone may fish a certain run of a set depth and in that case MAY opt for the indicator ( bobber) on the line. No typical fly casting involved either way.
    I have seen it done that way a few times with guys using mono line, on the Anchor some years ago for kings. Honestly to me it seems more hassle then it is worth, why not just bust out the spinner or bait caster?

I have fishermen with a fly rod and reel with mono line and roe for years, all on the small streams of the peninsula. Matter of fact my fly rods are custom made for mono, with insert guides. Fly rods have a much better feel for silvers when they just nibble.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I use my fly rod & reel for crappie down in Texas, with mono line and bait. I am not fly fishing for crappie. I need a long and soft rod, and I don't want to spend money to by new rod.

Some times you have to make due with what you have. Hell, I have used a spinning real on a fly rod before lol. Years ago I was down on the Kenai fishing for Reds with a brand new (cheaper) Fly rod and real. Well, my first hook up ended up being a big honking King salmon. It tore off towards the middle of the river so fast, I kid you know, the real literally split in half and the "real" portion shot off to my left still spinning mid air as it fell into the river. Needless to say I lost that one lol. I took it back to Fred Meyer (the real) and got a replacement and went back to the river. Same spot, first cast the same thing, hooked another large king (10 feet from shore, ***?!) and this time the drag snapped inside and it just quit working. I was so mad I took it off threw it in the truck walked over took the real off my spinning rod and put that on there for sheets and giggles. It actually worked pretty well lol. Fished for reds for a week that way and had no problems. I got some goofy looks but you know what, it worked. And it was still a lot more fun then using the spinning rod.

Some times you have to make due with what you have.

Thanks Rich. You are entirely right in all that you have said. My question was in fact , as you quite astutely pointed out , to do with Kings and silvers. ( sorry if I misled otherwise ). Evidently, as you have noticed , I have been staggering my questions over the last couple of days to try and gain as much information as I can about all the various water ways , techniques and if you like , traditions that are used within these waterscapes. During this process I had come across footage of many anglers tossing roe with what appeared to be a single handed fly rod. My original question was quite simply this , how is this done ? It appeared to me , from my own investigations and in particular regarding the Kasilof river that swinging flies in the siltty water of a glacier fed stream, or any water with depressed water clarity that some anglers were using this method as a means of picking up fish. ( silvers in particular ) At least three of the most well known fishing lodges in the peninsula have posted video footage of this on various sites on the internet. Of course , I wish I could go into more detail with the questions that I am asking here but I have to be aware of the audience that im trying to access. If I were to use a more prescriptive tone , I may or may not get any answers at all.......And of course , as the mighty Rich just pointed out , I could have been taking about beads?.......Guess what my next thread was going to be? Thanks Rich.......just one more thought. I am a fly fishing purist. I believe in catch and release. I come from a country where there is no reliable fishing. This deficiency led to me to Alaska. There are 2 million other anglers in Ireland who would give up their last breath to fish the kenai for bows. I can assure everyone , the privilege is all mine. Cheers Rich for the back up!!