Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PWS Bear Hunting...where to go

Default PWS Bear Hunting...where to go

Looks like I might get a shot to go bear hunting this weekend out in PWS. I have a couple places to go in mind but I wonder where others go. I don't want (and would not expect) exact answer but in general. I am planning on heading over to Eaglek or Unakwik and see what I can find.

Where to others go..
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Anywhere,the bears are thick.

Whittier still looks full on winter. Friends that have been out the past few weeks still report 2-4 ft of snow, but they are spotting a few bears up high.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Had a friend return yesterday commenting on the winterlike conditions over there, hardly any bear moving yet......
    Regardless, have a great weekend being out on the water.
    Stay safe!!
    BK

Most Bears that are high up in Whittier, typically are on pretty steep country
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

One friend who hunted the Whittier area for many years never went far. Most of the time he never left Passage Canal, Blackstone Bay, or Cochrane Bay. He told me that he'd always go out early in the evening and hunt the evening and early morning. He and his parties would also take small bears without hesitation and regularly, but they always got bears.

I have to be honest I am going to take the first bear I see that is not a sow with cubs or a cub... This will be my fist solo big game animal so if I can get within 75 yards of a bear I am going to shoot it. I might head down South a ways as maybe there will be less snow down that way.

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

^^^^^ Pretty tough to do a PWS black bear hunt solo when you can't shoot from the boat unless it's a boat you can beach.

JR, We will be out there this weekend too. If ya need anything, look us up. Good luck on the bear. Plenty to be had out there.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

you can take snowmachines and get up high. snow was very deep up top last weekend!

JR2, I always head south down to port Nellie juan. I have always spotted bears there. One of my favorite places to go down there is deep water bay. Theres a creek/river in the back where you can hike up to a bigger open valley and look for bears. Greystone bay also has some good places to look for bears. Hope you get something. Ill be done in homer this weekend and hopefully back after bears the next.

Quote Originally Posted by Brain View Post
    ^^^^^ Pretty tough to do a PWS black bear hunt solo when you can't shoot from the boat unless it's a boat you can beach.
    Have a raft with a motor to cruise the beaches, if its not on the beach or within a hundred yards of the beach it will be safe. I will have my wife and boys with me to help once the shooting is over.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.

Just returned last night. Bears definitely out and moving. Ester north still plenty of snow... Once you head south of culross there's plenty of grass sprouting up. Every bear we saw was on the beach

Im headed out on Sunday to Port Nellie Juan area.
    F/V Scooby II
    Dominic

That sounds like exactally what I wanted to here. If everything goes as planned, we are going to try to head out on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Goody View Post
    Just returned last night. Bears definitely out and moving. Ester north still plenty of snow... Once you head south of culross there's plenty of grass sprouting up. Every bear we saw was on the beach

210 miles from Whitter to Hogg Bay in Port Bainbridge and lots of bays in between, did not see one bear.... and I hit a rock in Culross.. Fun weekend, be back out next time weekend looking again.

Oh did I mention not to bother shrimping in Whale Bay?

Wow thats alot of traveling with no sign. Hear they are out everywhere so mabe north next time. Shrimping has seem to fall off big time down south, I used to fill 5 gal buckets down that way and now its pretty slow.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    210 miles from Whitter to Hogg Bay in Port Bainbridge and lots of bays in between, did not see one bear.... and I hit a rock in Culross.. Fun weekend, be back out next time weekend looking again.

Oh did I mention not to bother shrimping in Whale Bay?

Did the rock tear anything up?

The skags have a little ugly on them now, and I knocked about a dime sized piece off one motor. Got lucky this time.

Culross has taken many motor parts over the years. Glad ya didn't get hit too bad. Nobody wants to take a hit like I did this year. Sucks about the shortage of bears.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast