Thread: What to do this weekend?

Default What to do this weekend?

I'm a pretty dedicated cook inlet fisherman, but wouldn't mind exploring something new.

I'll be fishing out of a kayak so my range is somewhat limited. Although I will have a sail but according to the forecasts winds will be minimal! Figures

I do want to catch fish though.

What's everyone else gonna do?

I am taking the wife over to halibut cove. I have a friend who lets us tie up at his dock over there whenever we want.
    Most likely plan is to hunt for some rockfish and whatever we can find in areas where the tide isn't going to kill us.
    I want to hit some of my good butt spots but those wicked tides are more then I want to mess with.
    I do wonder how long I can fish with my new 25oz jig but -5.7 is just too much to mess with. Might just hit a spot or two during slack tide.
    We might grab a bite at the tidepool in Seldovia if we find ourselves out that way.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Dang I didn't even check tides! That current is gonna hit close to 4mph

Matt, how do u know the current speed? Seems like it would be a lot faster than 4. Throw an anchor out in that and your boat makes a heck of a wake.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

I have navionics software. There is a couple of bouyies that you can click on that predict current speeds.

Here's a screenshot for Saturday ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369201561.695603.jpg

Seem to be a few Kings being caught along the bluffs down South of Deep Creek.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I am taking the wife over to halibut cove. I have a friend who lets us tie up at his dock over there whenever we want.
    Most likely plan is to hunt for some rockfish and whatever we can find in areas where the tide isn't going to kill us.
    I want to hit some of my good butt spots but those wicked tides are more then I want to mess with.
    I do wonder how long I can fish with my new 25oz jig but -5.7 is just too much to mess with. Might just hit a spot or two during slack tide.
    We might grab a bite at the tidepool in Seldovia if we find ourselves out that way.
    Once caught a 90#er in halibut lagoon! Ya never know, drop a line and fish! Good luck out there.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Once caught a 90#er in halibut lagoon! Ya never know, drop a line and fish! Good luck out there.

Not sure if we will hit the lagoon or not. We will be there in August though as we have the lagoon overlook cabin booked.
    The plan for now is to hit some rockfish spots in Eldred passage area Sadie Cove and Tutka bay. Might try a spot a coworker recommended near Pogi depending on weather and tidal action out there.
    I just hope the weather cooperates but if not the cove itself is a lot of fun and very scenic.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Matt, why not roll for Seward, and try using that sail? Launch across the bay and work your way along the coast towards Thumb Cove? There are a few sockeye nosing in, no big numbers, and the occassional King....Once you get to the entrance to Thumb you have the option for bottom fish (Halibut, small rockfish). There's even 2 Forest Service Cabins in the cove as well as a sweet beach for tent camping.

Or launch from Lowell point and work your way out to Caines head, with similar options.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

you should go clamming
    Last edited by Brian M; 05-22-2013 at 17:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Jisler View Post
    you should go clamming
    aint no clams to be had this year. 25 per person isnt worth the gas wasted to drive there from ANC

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonSlut View Post
    aint no clams to be had this year. 25 per person isnt worth the gas wasted to drive there from ANC
    I certainly am hoping that is the case! Keep spreading that around.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!