Thread: Inaugural NWKA Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic report

Default Inaugural NWKA Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic report

A group of us kayakers got together to see if we couldn't muster up some halibut and kings. We were disappointed to hear the AP Calcutta derby had been canceled...only to find out it was going on the same day later. A HUGE thank you to HomerDave and his water taxi service for being one of the sponsors.

Fishing has been slow but its hard to judge if its slow for everyone or not when you deploy only one rod off a kayak.

Saturday was a blow out with snow falling sideways on our camp. Three of us tried to get out. Two succeeded early. I tried in what seemed like better conditions but all I managed was some spectacular wipeout pictures.

Sunday the group gets out and manages to fish from about 9 am to 2pm. Between 8 kayaks (not all fished the full 5 hours) we managed 2 halibut and a king. I lost a nice halibut of maybe 50 pounds right next to the kayak. So the fish are there but it seemed slow. Not much bait on the sonar even. The king had small sandlances in it.

So here's a few pics. For more detail and a lot more pictures you can go to : http://guidesak.blogspot.com/2013/05...k-classic.html

Whiskey%u00252520Gulch%u00252520classic040.JPG
    Whiskey%u00252520Gulch%u00252520classic099.JPG

Nice shots! Cold water is making it tough everywhere...things should be normal in a week or 2.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Wow! That is absolutely awesome! If I lived closer, I would certainly drop the coin to get geared up to join you guys. Excellent...thanks for sharing.

Man you guys have balls that clank. Well done and congrats!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Man you guys have balls that clank. Well done and congrats!
    Actually three of the group didn't! meaning they were women...not that they weren't brave. Lol. But I will give the women credit, they were smart enough to grab cameras instead of their kayaks on Saturday! Capturing my major wipeout unfortunately. Still the third place went to a female fisher overall!!!!

With the right gear, common sense, and a little bit of experience anyone can do this!!! Give it a try!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was a fun get together. Everyone in this kayak group we are starting is good people!

Once you try it you'll be hooked. These kayaks and I use that term loosely are very stable and safe. Couple that with safety gear such as dry suit, pfd and VHF radio you feel pretty secure out there.

Charterboat Operator

Matt, was good to meet you on the beach the other day and got to onjoy the zodiak beaching, not taking away from Rudy's epic fail, but the captain of that LFRB looked alot like Rudy w/o a dry suit!
    and i do agree w/ TMB that you guys are nuts, even if some are missing them!!
    cheers PB

Great to meet you as well! Can finally put a face to your boat. See ya out there next time' just look for a red trimaran kayak with a sail! Unless its big out then ill be in the yellow one