Thread: Help with old Browning Safari

Default Help with old Browning Safari

Need some help identifying an old Browning Safari. It's 270 cal, the serial number is (L 11420) and is present on the bolt, barrel, receiver (just below the top line of the stock) and on the inside of the stock. There is no rust present anywhere. I have gotten conflicting information on the DOM, espically with the L and the 5 degit serial. I posted pictures on protobucket (hopefully) so take a look and let me know what you think - THANKS !

http://s1335.photobucket.com/user/PaulyP1698/slideshow/

Default look back & search..

There was quite a lengthly discussion/ thread on the Browning Safaris not too long ago in one of the Shooting Forums. As I recall Murphy had quite a bit of input and explained the date coding etc.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulyP View Post
    Need some help identifying an old Browning Safari. It's 270 cal, the serial number is (L 11420) and is present on the bolt, barrel, receiver (just below the top line of the stock) and on the inside of the stock. There is no rust present anywhere. I have gotten conflicting information on the DOM, espically with the L and the 5 degit serial. I posted pictures on protobucket (hopefully) so take a look and let me know what you think - THANKS !

http://s1335.photobucket.com/user/PaulyP1698/slideshow/
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I have not been on the forum much lately and missed this post.

The L and five digits S/N looks almost as if something was left off. One of the quick evaluations of these rifles as to era of manufacture is the rear sight. There were three different rear sights used. Your rifle is missing that sight. But with the five digits and no dat year code I will say with a great deal of certainty that it was made in 1970. I've seen several of these L XXXXX rifles and it seems that for the zero year, or the 70 year there often is no year at all. I'll link you to another post about these great rifles maybe that will help.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murphy,
    Appreciate any help ! Have been trying to date the rifle just to see when it was made. Not a show stopper, if you know what I mean. Gentleman I bought it from stated it was from '65.
    Too much information pointing to too many different opinions on dating. I like the rifle, plan on having some fun with it, Thanks !

Finally got my answer from a gentlemen from the BrowningCollector site. I had the same question posed on the Browning owners site, which he answered.

Answer:

"Your Safari Grade was actually made in late 1961. Browning had not yet went to the year code with the Safari i.e. until sometime between your number L 11420 and serial number 2 L 11856 (.308 small ring). Serial number L 11557 is the last serial number I show for 1961 made Safari Grades (so far).

Side note: The Medallion and Olympian Grades all had the year code prefix in 1961 as 1 X and you couldn't tell the model you had, Medallion or Olympian, by the serial number because both had X as the prefix. Browning/FN changed that in 1962. Hope this helps. "

www.BrowningCollector.com

The "L" will tell you what year of production
    Alaska