Thread: Purchased a Glock 20-a couple of questions about ammunition.

Default Purchased a Glock 20-a couple of questions about ammunition.

Hello, just purchased my first gun(a glock 20 gen 4), and I had questions regarding ammunition. First, I am looking for a good range ammunition that is fairly economical. I have been looking at Armscor 180gr, and I am wondering if anyone has any firsthand experience putting that ammo through a G20. It doesnt have to be super clean ammo(I will be cleaning the weapon after every range trip), but I am looking for something that will feed reliably. From what I have read of some of the reviews on the internet(take it with a grain of salt, I know), it seems to be a perfectly fine range ammo. My future father in-law will be coming up from the states next month, and I can get a couple of cases of the Armscor shipped to him and have him bring it up-assuming the stuff is any good.

The second question I had was regarding the ammo type I would be carrying in the woods(this is a critter protection gun). I was thinking about the 220gr hardcast Buffalo Bore ammo-any first hand experience with that ammunition? Any alternate suggestions?

Finally, I wanted to ask specifically if anyone was aware of 10mm in stock either in the Fairbanks area or at a dealer in the state willing to ship to fairbanks. If it is armscor, all the better as I would like to put a few rounds through the gun before I invest in a couple thousand rounds of the stuff. But even if it isnt, I am just looking for about anything to just be able to go out and shoot my new gun.

Thanks a lot for any input in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrard155 View Post
    Finally, I wanted to ask specifically if anyone was aware of 10mm in stock either in the Fairbanks area or at a dealer in the state willing to ship to fairbanks. If it is armscor, all the better as I would like to put a few rounds through the gun before I invest in a couple thousand rounds of the stuff. But even if it isnt, I am just looking for about anything to just be able to go out and shoot my new gun.

Thanks a lot for any input in advance!
    I found some 10mm Hydra-Shok at Frontier Outfitter. If you're in town anyway it's probably a good idea to check in at Sportsmen's pretty regularly. When they get shipments they put out a little at a time, and it's real hit-and-miss.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Do you know if anyone stocks the armscor? I agree, it seems to be impossible to determine who stocks what when. I understand that ammunition is in short supply everywhere, but for the places in town to not even know when they are getting any in seems kinda ridiculous. The best answer I have gotten is "check on tuesdays, we may have some then". Its probably just me not knowing the realities of the market right now, but it doesnt make it any less frustrating. I had a similar experience with my gun, ended up having to order from a dealer in south dakota and have it shipped. I am excited about the new gun but the process has been less than fun.....

I bought 500rds of Armscor 10mm for my G20 when I was in the lower 48 a few months ago. At $22/box it was a steal of a deal from Midway USA. The ammo shoots great to be honest, I never had one issue with the ammo. Mind you it is not a full power load but it cycles great in the glock and is very accurate. I just wish I could have bought more but they had a 500rd limit at the time. I also have PPU 10mm that I got for $19/box at AIM Surplus, which also fires great but it is on the slow side and is not as accurate as the Armscor but for range use it is good. I carry Double Tap 200gr hard cast for woods carry. For two legged defense I carry Hornady 180gr XTP. I haven't tried the Buffalo bore as I can't find it locally but I heard good of it too.

Thanks Blasterak!
    Yes I also have a G20 and will be carrying the Buffalo Bore 220 gr Hardcast the shoots like a canon - a big boom instead of a snap - very smoky too. The ammo felt like a mini canon. Accuracy was OK with my stock Glock 20 (GEN 1) w/ grip reduction.

Will be in your state next week. Look for a guy who is afraid to be bear food - 12ga Remington 870 w/ slugs and Glock 20 strong side holster in the Mat-Su area.!

Well, honestly, good luck! But here is what I shoot, get on a waiting list for a .22lr kit. Shoot hundreds of rounds for next to nothing! Yeah weight and balance changes, but it's the same trigger and lower, that's what really matters! I don't shoot much 10mm anymore. I did this spring shoot alot of .22lr in one range session, plus during the winter taking pop shots and killing shots on bunnies and plinking. I shot another black bear and hit where I was aiming at 2:50am two weeks ago tomorrow night. So the 300+ rounds of 10mm I have in DT 230gr hardcast will last me quite while at this pace! Only 10mm round fired this year so far was into that bear! One shot, one kill, and complete pass through again, twice actually! Through body, top of body near back and out brisket, THEN into lower leg and out pad on foot! Love the glock! But good luck getting ammo! Get a conversion bbl in 40 S&W is an option too. Also, not heard good things about the Gen 4, but maybe they are good now.