Thread: 3" Shotshells in a 2 3/4" chamber...............???????????

Default 3" Shotshells in a 2 3/4" chamber...............???????????

Clearly NOT to be recommended.........But I have never heard of a firearm exploding. In my decrepit old age I have to measure the shell OAL, and I wonder what if anything would happen if a 3" shell was fired in a modern 2 3/4" chamber.......???

I can't answer your question directly but I can tell a related story. A few years ago out on a duck hunt the birds were everywhere and I was reloading as fast as I could. Somehow I managed to have a 3 1/2" shell mixed in with my regular 3" shells. It loaded and fired fine and I only noticed because it would not eject completely once the shell was fully expanded. This was on a Remington 1187. After a bit of a fight and some frozen hands I was finally able to get the shell out and I couldn't find any damage to the gun's integrity or functioning.

I’m no shotgun guy by any means but I’d say 3” or 3-½” in a 2-¾” gun is a bad idea because 2-¾” are lower pressure than the longer rounds. 3-½” in a 3” isn’t a pressure issue but not a great idea because most 3” guns are not designed for steel shot and 3-½” shells are usually steel shot. I doubt an occasional longer shell will ever injure the shooter but don’t think it’s doing the gun any favors. But sticking any magnums in an old 2-¾” gun not meant for the increased pressure is a far worse idea than 3-½” in a 3” gun.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Happened once in an old Sportsman 48. My friend stuck one of his 3" slugs into it rather than ask me for my ammo.

Nothing happened to the gun and it ejected the longer shell through the shorter port fine. That old beast hates target loads and even with some light upland loads the shell will not clear the port.

I do not recommend making a habit of this. The chamber on a 2.75" is long enough to allow a 3" shell to fit but when fired the folded front shell casing can get lodged in the barrel beyond the chamber. The wad can cut the shell casing or force it into the edge of the chamber, etc. It is unlikely that you can get a 3.5" shell to chamber in a 2.75" chamber.

3" shells are 2 9/16" long

2 3/4" shells are 2 5/16 long

I am NOT advocating this practice but I find it interesting that in all my years I have never once heard of this causing damage.

you need the extra chamber space for shot shell to open.

It will boost pressure because the crimp cannot fully open, kind of like forcing a 12ga payload down a 20ga bore. That said I don't think you are going to see many blow up guns, shotshells operate at such low pressure and have such a large expansion ratio that a blowup is unlikely. With any hinged breach gun you may stretch the bites and bend the hinge pin and you might over stress the gas system on an autoloader, but I don't think anything. Is going to explode.

The Doublegun Journal did an interesting multipart article on shooting modern shotshells in Damascus barreled shotguns. They bought a bunch of the rattiest old clunkers they could get, I'm talking real wall hanger junk, stuffed them full of magnums and even proof loads. Guess what, while headspace grew dramatically and the loose lockups got looser, NOTHING blew up, even 2 7/8" 10ga guns with 3 1/2" proof loads.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I hain't no shootgun guy, neither, but I thought a 3" chamber was spose to accomodate both 3" and 2 3/4"

Howsomever, I kin unnerstan how there could be function problems in an Auto, or even a pump.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

the barrel is reamed and has what is called a forcing cone. The forcing cone allows the crimp open completely. I have personally have had my trap gun reamed from a 2-3/4 inch to a 3 inch just to help with recoil. Caution to the wind shooting 3" steel loads in a 2-3/4" gun could cause problems because of the heavy wad, it does have the possibility of getting stuck or slowed down enough to cause damage to your gun.

Yep chambers are set set with paper hull shells which are thicker than plastic so no real pressure problem in newer shotguns. You can fire up to around 8,500 psi 2 3/4" in old 2 1/2" SXS chambers without trouble if the gun is still in proof.Many shoot 2 3/4 in 2 5/16 chambered guns they inherited and never realized shells were not always 2 3/4".
    Truth is you can load safe 2 3/4" loads that have more pressure than a 3 1/2" load. Peak pressure in a shotgun barrel happens between 9 and 11 inches from the end of chamber on most guns except tri-bored which happens at about 13".
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I should have typed 2 9/16" for the old inherited guns... How many as kids remember shot shells not being crimped but having a cover wad with shot size stamped on it?
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I should have typed 2 9/16" for the old inherited guns... How many as kids remember shot shells not being crimped but having a cover wad with shot size stamped on it?

Me............I remember the very first plastic shells. I remember to sell the idea they had a large ad in the sporting magazines. "If one of our shells leaks water, we will give you a whole box for free". My guess is that was around 59' and me being not the brightest pumpkin in the patch figured to get FIVE free boxes of shotshells. I took five MARK V shells and soaked them for two weeks. All I got for this was a very Black & Blue shoulder from my Stevens single shot that might have weighed 4 1/2# soaking wet.

Swelling paper shells with water/snow to make them fit the gauge you needed

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I do I do and only 41 Yyears old

Pretty sure my dad has cases of paper shot shells including the ones you are talking about amigo ... We're t they a rolled crimp or something like that. Pretty heavy loads in 10hquge that they used to use for geese on the eastern shore for geese before they went steel...

Yep roll crimp and a little wax to seal. The last brass shells I loaded I seal with light coat of elmers glue and it worked great.