Thread: Aaarrgh! My RCBS Chargemaster Died, Again!

Post Aaarrgh! My RCBS Chargemaster Died, Again!

Going to have to return my RCBS Chargemaster 1500 to RCBS for repair, again. The keypad died, again. This is the second time I will have to do this. And what kills me is I have not used the machine all that much.

The keypad does not read the correct digits when pressed, such as when trying to key in 80.0 grains, when I press "8" it reads "9" and when I hit "0" it does not show "80" but "0". I tried every key and all but the "6" and "7" keys allow a full weight to be entered, but after I hit ENTER then DISP, it shows ERROR. So there we go.

Called RCBS, they told me to send it in for repair for a small fee.

I think I will sell this one when I get it back and buy a PACT unit.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I had one and it would screw up all the time. I dont load a ton of ammo, mostly just hunting ammo so I went back to my beam scale. I trust it and it is fast enough for me.

I have had a PAC unit for several years with only one problem. One of the wart power modules went bad and the scale would not hold zero. They sent me a new one in 3 days and it has been running ever since. I do a lot of shooting not as much hunting but I shoot thousands of rifle rounds. I think they are great units.

Does anyone use the Lyman Gen 5 or Gen 6 powder thrower/scale? I have read too many bad reports of the RCBS doing just what you describe and I don't want to spend $300+ and have to replace it every year or two. I believe the warranty is only one year on the Chargemaster.

RCBS called me. My machine is in the mail to me right now!! And they didn't charge me $200 for the keypad, they charged me the old price of $45 plus the postage to return the machine.

I love RCBS.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I recently purchased a Chargemaster 1500 and while I have only loaded a couple hundred rounds using it I like it a lot. It is twice as fast as the old RCBS digital scale, powder dispenser that communicate via infared beam. It has been more accurate as well, every charge has been right on the money, haven't had to use the trickle feature yet. I hope I don't start experiencing the same issues talked about here.