Thread: solo caribou hunt

Question solo caribou hunt

i am trying to get as much information about a solo caribuo hunt near lake clark ive always dreamed of doing this hunt. i need as much info as i can get and would gladly listen to all comments. thanks

Default Links to support

If you're looking to hunt in Lake Clark National Preserve and will use commercial support for flights, etc. give a look at the links on this page:

http://www.nps.gov/lacl/planyourvisit/hunting.htm

It will steer you to air taxis and other operators legal to operate in the federal preserve. Enjoy the hunt!

First of all, when do you plan on doing this, and why Lake Clark? While I would agree that the Lake Clark area is some of the most spectacular country in the world, the caribou have largely dispersed from this area and success rates on large bulls have plummeted in recent years. Do a search through the archives for Mulchatna caribou and you will find reams of info detailing the currently depressed status of the herd. It's still possible to do a hunt out there and have an enjoyable time, but you need to go into this with your eyes open. Good luck with your planning!

What kind of information are you looking for? Can it be done? Certainly. The one piece of equipment you absolutely need would be a sat phone, just in case. Other then that, quality equipment to include a good three or four season tent, rain gear, etc.

Call the area bio guy, he can give you allot of info and send you some on the hesr and area that you will be hunting in.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Solo hunts

Are there any air charters who are willing to fly one person in by them selves? Most of the ones I have looked at are stating a 2 person minimum. Solo sounds kind of interesting.

Default A fine idea

I think this sounds wonderful. I've done solo fly-in hunts before and they have their own uniqueness that you never forget. Yes, there are risks, and they should not be counted lightly. But if you've calculated it all out and are willing, why not? Solo adventures are not necessarily fatal- check the Dick Proenneke story! On the other hand, for the profoundly inept, they can be- check the Chris McCandless story!

Brian is right- most of the big caribou are no longer found in that area. You could get lucky though- and you also have black bear, grizzly and moose in there to spice things up. I think it would be a great adventure.

There are air charters out of the Port Alsworth area that might take you in. Give Glen Alsworth a call. Dunno how he is with solo hunters, but it doesn't hurt to try.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay