Thread: Spey rods on the Kenai ?

Default Spey rods on the Kenai ?

Are there any sections on the upper or lower river were spey rods are used to fish for salmon and maybe trout?

I have used my Spey rod on the upper and middle. A lot easier if you have a means of transportation to get into the good spots for swinging.

I usually use a switch rod with a Skagit head, but I know several guys who use larger Spey rods primarily for trout. I do know one hardcore old fella who uses a 9wt switch with a heavy Skagit head for kings; he swings the biggest, most god-awful ugly and flashy flies, but they seem to work. I just picked up a 13 footer that I'm going to give a go on the Kenai this year. Late last year I met a couple of Norwegian guys who were swinging classic Atlantic salmon flies with these beautiful 16' bamboo Spey rods, but they weren't catching anything. I recommended that they sink up and swing some flesh flies I gave them and they started hooking up with some rainbows.

Where will you fish with the double hander, middle or upper river ? I've fished for kings in Bristol bay on the fly. What about the other peninsula streams, i.e. Anchor , Ninilchik or even Deep creek. Are they worth a swing with a fly at all?

You can fish the whole Kenai with a Spey Rod. You ever seen it? Its a very large river, 90 miles long, 2 big ass lakes, very wide, the upper has an average discharge of 6000cfs and the middle closer to 20000cfs. Kasilof is also a very conducive River for Swinging with a Spey rod but not as big as the Kenai. Anchor, Ninilchik, Deep Creek are best to swing with a Switch Rod or Single Hander.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Mickey,

If you want really good info about 2 handers on the Kenai, I suggest you get a hold of Mike at Mossy's Fly shop. He is a pro when it comes to that stuff, and has an invaluable wealth of knowledge.

Thanks mate for all your help.

I second that suggestion to get hold of Mike at Mossy's fly shop in Anchorage. One stop shop.

Mike is the only person to see in the area when it comes to two handers, no other shops in town or in the state that I know of can compare when it comes to Spey knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky_Ireland View Post
    Are there any sections on the upper or lower river were spey rods are used to fish for salmon and maybe trout?
    Hi micky, did you use your spey rod on the kenai last year, what areas did you use it. I take mine most years but its never been out of the tube.

Wow dude! I never realized it was such a big river. Thanks for the enlightment. He asked about the use of a spey rod but didn't appear to be struggling with conceptualizing the size of the river. Try not to be so sarcastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Franken Fish View Post
    You can fish the whole Kenai with a Spey Rod. You ever seen it? Its a very large river, 90 miles long, 2 big ass lakes, very wide, the upper has an average discharge of 6000cfs and the middle closer to 20000cfs. Kasilof is also a very conducive River for Swinging with a Spey rod but not as big as the Kenai. Anchor, Ninilchik, Deep Creek are best to swing with a Switch Rod or Single Hander.

Quote Originally Posted by gwright View Post
    Wow dude! I never realized it was such a big river. Thanks for the enlightment. He asked about the use of a spey rod but didn't appear to be struggling with conceptualizing the size of the river. Try not to be so sarcastic.
    He wasn't being sarcastic. He was giving good information. The OP didn't ask about the size of the river, but that is a key criteria for use of a Spey rod.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Yeah it seemed sarcastic at first, but rereading it, it's a pretty valid answer and even goes on to suggest another river as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky_Ireland View Post
    Micky,
    The best section is probably the middle section below the outlet of the lake and above the Killey River. It sets up well for swinging flies at Salmon and Trout.

I always that the spey when I make the trip up there, not many places here in Kodiak to use it. All the gravel bars/bends in the upper are great for work the long rod, even if on foot. I'm usually there when it's full on egg eating time so I don't pull many fish on it, but it's nice to be able to throw it.

Quote Originally Posted by qkayak View Post
    Micky,
    The best section is probably the middle section below the outlet of the lake and above the Killey River. It sets up well for swinging flies at Salmon and Trout.
    The lower section can lend itself to great swinging for tidewater reds, silvers, and pinks! All dime bright!