Thread: Deshka kings

Default Deshka kings

Im looking for some information regarding fishing the Deshka for kings and silvers. I have had unconfirmed reports that there are only one or two main parts of the river that are utilised fishing ( the section just above the confluence of the su ). Is this accurate.......Thanks

Micky,
    That is correct, fishing occurs in 2 main sections of the river for Kings and silvers. The lower 9 miles is open till the fish weir, then above the fish weir it is open again till mile 17 roughly. The remainder of the river is closed for fishing of those two species.
    Are you doing a float trip (drop off I am guessing) or staying at the Deshka lodge?
    If your on your own, it would be good to know other rules that apply this year due to the emergency order, however if your with Mike, then he is aware of all the regulation changes this year.
    BK

Hey bkmail,

Can you correct me if I'm wrong? On the Deshka you can keep one king per day, up to two kings per year, only use a single artificial unbaited hook, and you can't fish for any other species once your king for he day has been kept.

Is that correct or did I miss something in the all of the regs and emergency orders? I wouldn't be surprised if I missed something. Thanks.

907, your correct.
    Good luck.
    BK

Wow. the regulations are tight. I guess that's whats required to keep the kings rolling in year after year. Although ,if my memory serves me correct ,the deshka had a strong run of fish last year ( 14,000 or so ) . Also , I can remember checking the f&g website 4 or 5 years ago regarding the coho . At that time ,it had one of the biggest runs of silvers in the state.....Is it in decline also?

Quote Originally Posted by Micky_Ireland View Post
    Wow. the regulations are tight. I guess that's whats required to keep the kings rolling in year after year. Although ,if my memory serves me correct ,the deshka had a strong run of fish last year ( 14,000 or so ) . Also , I can remember checking the f&g website 4 or 5 years ago regarding the coho . At that time ,it had one of the biggest runs of silvers in the state.....Is it in decline also?
    "strong" is a very relative term. Deshka has a high escapement threshold compared to all other valley fisheries. The escapement was within range, down at the lower end, due to restrictions for both sport and commercial fishing. Coho returns valley wide have been poor lately. There is a seemingly direct link to high sockeye numbers in the Kenai and low silver numbers in the Valley. All that aside, Deshka should still be a great place to fish kings this year.

Ive seen some of the footage on you tube ( sorry about that, its what we use through the winter to keep us going !) Ive heard that they are overall of a much smaller size ( 15lb to 30lb with the odd 40lb). It looks a first class river. Is it very heavily fished?

Ive seen some of the footage on you tube ( sorry about that, its what we use through the winter to keep us going !) Ive heard that they are overall of a much smaller size ( 15lb to 30lb with the odd 40lb). It looks a first class river. Is it very heavily fished?
    Since it's about the only river open all week in the Mat Valley, I'm sure that it will attract a lot of anglers. If you fish the mouth, ( if you can get your boat in there, as it may be crowded ) you can sometimes pick up a larger 50-60 pounder that has pulled in for a break, I heard they sometimes like to clean their gills of silt at the mouth of clear water streams, before heading on to their river of origin.
    "Grin and Bear It"

put it this way, that place is packed tighter then a soccer stadium in Europe! Not to mention it is the only place you can retain kings this year so it will be even worse. If you are going to fish it be careful, getting there is easy enough but take the wrong channel and you will get stuck. Also recommend getting there early, people go a couple hours before your allowed to fish to get a spot let alone a good one.

crowded.......combat fishing on boats. What a show. I have been hit in the back with wiggle warts a few times. Be careful. lol

yah, I just wanted to reiterate the last few comments. The past few years have been crazy out there, and now with all the closures to the other areas I can only imagine how insane it will be out there this year.

Basically, picture the Whittier small boat harbor on a holiday weekend. Now take all of those boats and cram them into a half mile stretch of river and then imagine 4 people casting from each boat. That should give you a pretty good idea of what the Deshka is like.

I'm not trying to deter you from going, but you should be prepared to bring an extra helping of patience.

Quote Originally Posted by 907pride View Post
    yah, I just wanted to reiterate the last few comments. The past few years have been crazy out there, and now with all the closures to the other areas I can only imagine how insane it will be out there this year.

Basically, picture the Whittier small boat harbor on a holiday weekend. Now take all of those boats and cram them into a half mile stretch of river and then imagine 4 people casting from each boat. That should give you a pretty good idea of what the Deshka is like.

I'm not trying to deter you from going, but you should be prepared to bring an extra helping of patience.
    Nothing says welcome to Alaska better than putting on Body armor to go Combat fishing lol. I have only been to the Deshka a few times, but it always amazed me how you get in a boat to get away from people to find it just as bad as any where else.

got my two kings out there last year but it almost was not worth it. 25 bucks a boat launch plus all the gas money and then you have to combat fish for hours for the chance to catch a 10 lb king. not sure if im gonna do it this year or not

lol .lol got the picture load and clear...................lol a small boat harbour