Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kasilof River

Default Kasilof River

Usually first king is caught on the tide around now. Anybody been fishing? Family coming in this weekend and going to hit it next week. I read the emergency orders. Prob going to tide fishing in the drifter. Anybody?

The kenai counter has counted 0, the anchor counter has counted 3. Last year less than something like 600 wild kings returned to the Kasilof. I suspect there are no Kings left in the Kasilof...

Kasilof has been fishing ok the past few years. The hatchery fish should be showing up soon. I saw pics of some kings caught trolling the beaches around Anchor Point last week so I know there are some ready to go upstream.

I will give you guys a report next week. Going out for butts one day and floating the ditch for evening tide. There usually early tide rider kings that come in and out with the tide until they are ready to go up. End of May sometimes is great tide fishing. Regardless I will keep you guys updated. -5 clam tides next week to!

Streambornfishing what do you mean going tide fishing in the drifter ? trolling ?

Are you a Kasilof regular ? I am interested in getting some reliable reports from reliable people. The numbers from f&g seem pretty constant over the years. Granted , last year was poor all-round the region for kings. What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Micky_Ireland View Post
    Streambornfishing what do you mean going tide fishing in the drifter ? trolling ?
    Early in the season you can fish down lower in the river where the tide has more of an effect at bringing some new fish in. That being said, at that time, some people prefer to just fish the incoming tide. Later on as the run starts to progress, and more fish enter the river, you can catch fish up higher on the river as, by then, the fish are scattered throughout the river system so you don't have to rely on the tide to bring more fish in.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I floated for my first Kings ever today on the Kasilof with a guide. They said yesterday was better than today - people were taking home some hatchery kings yesterday, as well as jacks and sockeye. Today, it was very slow (which apparently is normal, ha ha). For example, our 10 hours on the river resulted in catching two, 20-25 lb native kings which we had to release; and one jack that got away. 3 king bites between 3 people all day on our boat; left empty handed. There were occasional hits by other boats that did result in some nice kings being kept; but definitely saw more jacks (and dollys) on the line. The guides are thinking next week is the better week. We got a 3:30 am start, fished the holes and rocks, then tried to fish the 11am tide but there was no big surge in fish. I'm a novice so I don't know if this info helps, but good luck!

Edited to add: Our 2 native kings were landed very early in our float, further upstream. It seemed the jacks and hatchery fish were more downstream, which is consistent with what somebody else on here said. But, there were still prolly more natives than hatchery being caught today (not counting the jacks).

Story of my life, "you should have been here yesterday"

brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

There are fish in there. You just have to have what they want.

I read on another site that the reds are starting to show up there also, any chance you can verify that?

Quote Originally Posted by AllAlaskan View Post
    I read on another site that the reds are starting to show up there also, any chance you can verify that?
    I was there yesterday and people were leaving with fish when I stopped by around 3pm.

Drifted on Mon...water level very low at the boat launch and upper portion has lots of rocks showing just past the bridge. Folks flipping at Crocked Creek and the guides stacked up in the lower portion of the river. Saw a few jacks and hatchery fish pulled out....tight lines!

Is Kasilof River a drift-only river or can you have a motor boat? And if so, what is the max horse-power? Can't seem to find it in the regs. thanx... "fishon"
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher
    Is Kasilof River a drift-only river or can you have a motor boat? And if so, what is the max horse-power? Can't seem to find it in the regs. thanx... "fishon"
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...ok.pdf#page=41

Sweet, I will check it out... thanx.. "fishon"
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    You can run a motor boat, but you will get some pretty nasty looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    The Kasilof regs state you "may not fish from a motorized boat. Motors less than 10 hp can be used downstream of Trujillios landing to exit the fishery......"
    So yes they are legal as long as youy do not plan to fish out of it.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Has anyone been having decent results at the Kasilof for Reds yet? I'm itching to get out there but don't know if they are running that great yet. I looked at the fish chart on the Alaska Outdoor Journal and it reported no reds running yet in the Kasilof but talked to a few guys and they said they have seen some pulled out of there this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Eatsleepfish View Post
    Has anyone been having decent results at the Kasilof for Reds yet? I'm itching to get out there but don't know if they are running that great yet. I looked at the fish chart on the Alaska Outdoor Journal and it reported no reds running yet in the Kasilof but talked to a few guys and they said they have seen some pulled out of there this year.
    Drive down and find out. There are fish, but you won't catch them sitting behind your computer looking at reports of people who aren't there either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast