Thread: canoeing trip

Default canoeing trip

I am looking for a good place for a one day canoeing trip in the valley. It should probably be fairly easy because I'm not sure how experienced some of the people are. I was going to float the little su but one of the group did not want to be on the water that long.

Thanks

Knik river is a nice float and not that long.

I don't canoe much but the only place I could even think of was on the Little Su from Shrock Rd. down to Houston. Most of the streams head into the Big Su or are to small.

Default conoe trip

Jim creek is not a bad one, but it is up the stream by hand a back down the stream, same stream an close to home [anchorage/mat sue]

Finger lake to Wasilla Lake.
    That is pretty easy, all flatwater with a small portage or 2.

Thanks actually we floted the knik. It was a calm easy float. only took a couple hours.

Where is the most ideal place for canoeing in Alaska?

Go Westy Camper Products - The Go Westy Camper Catalog

When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    The link doesn't work. Least not for me.

Question great canoe places

Thinking about the best place to Canoe in Alaska??
    Here are a few places on any given day I would say are the best I have ever experienced..
    Wood Tikchik lakes area was one of the neatest places on the planet for a remote and spectacular canoe/kayak experience.
    http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/units/woodtik.htm

The Nancy Lakes are a great trip also..
    http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/uni...lk/nancylk.htm

For moving water the Gulkana comes to mind as a great little canoe trip that you can do from the road system.

Although I have never done it, The Yukon river would be an adventure.
    Megan Baldino from channel 2 news wrote that book a few years ago about their adventure on the Yukon.
    the book is called " Two in a red Canoe".

Anouther way to research canoe adventures in alaska is by reading about the river research done on many rivers in Alaska.
    http://outdoorsdirectory.com/boating/
    just click on each river and get the skinny what to expect, and even if a canoe is acceptable for these moving waters.
    this information is dated so if any of the rivers strikes your fancy, please bounce it off the guys here on the forum for updates..

Alaska numbers more lakes than the entire state human population, so flat water is easy to find. A million places to launch the double ender makes for plenty of options... What kind of backdrop do you want? What kind of fish do you seek? How far from the next human do you want to be?
    How much effort do you want to take in getting on that water? Do it from the road system or fly in a couple hundred miles?

Last december I was out in Adak Island for a week, and found a lake I would have loved to paddle.... That is if the wind ever died down long enough to make it possible..lol
    anyway..
    If you find that "best place to canoe" I want to know about it so I can experience it too.. so make you share the wealth..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default short trip

Jim creek, drive to jim lake an paddle across it slide canoe across portage [50ft] then paddle down stream [to the left on stream] go down till you hit the next stream go right you will come out at the point where all the ATV riders go or go down the river till you hit the bridge should take about 3 hrs. for beginners very soft water enjoy