Thread: Dm830

Default Dm830

Wondering who has done this hunt in the past. Got the transporter lined up, have the plan set. Packing my gear and mailing it out in a month or two. Now here's the question... do I bring the rifle or the recurve (ill probably end up bringing both). I'm not worried about coming home with a bull, but from your experience am I likely to bring one into range of my recurve ( 30 yards ) or should I not waste the space. Better yet, would it be a good idea to arrow a bull with 125 gr broadheads out of a 57lb (at my draw length) recurve? Thanks.

Zach

Quote Originally Posted by honeybadger View Post
    Wondering who has done this hunt in the past. Got the transporter lined up, have the plan set. Packing my gear and mailing it out in a month or two. Now here's the question... do I bring the rifle or the recurve (ill probably end up bringing both). I'm not worried about coming home with a bull, but from your experience am I likely to bring one into range of my recurve ( 30 yards ) or should I not waste the space. Better yet, would it be a good idea to arrow a bull with 125 gr broadheads out of a 57lb (at my draw length) recurve? Thanks.

Zach
    if your spending all the money on a transporter and the general cost of this hunt.....why wouldn't you be worried about coming home with a bull?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt/trapak88 View Post
    if your spending all the money on a transporter and the general cost of this hunt.....why wouldn't you be worried about coming home with a bull?

For one, my father and a good friend are coming with so It'll be a success whether or not I tag a bull, and two I'm pretty confident in my ability to find decent bull in 14 days.

The question is, is it wise to attempt to arrow that bull with a recurve, or am I asking for trouble?

Take both...weight isn't gonna be an issue. I shot mine at 300 yds last year...but he was in a big swamp at dark and wasn't gonna chance him not comin to me or not bein there in the morning

My buddy had the same tag last year and shot a 60 incher out of camp across the river while taking a afternoon nap! I would def take the bow and rifle you will have a great hunt. Did you book with Charlie? If so your hunt will be just great lots of moose in that area. By the way you got my tag this year! HAHAHAHAHA Good luck up there.

Sorry about the tag, I'll make sure it gets put to good use though!

I booked with Fred, booked with him the day after I drew the tag. I've heard good about both guys. Talked with my friend's boss who did alot of research out of Huslia for a couple of years and a couple others who have done this hunt before. Went over maps with them and I should be sitting pretty.

Finishing up the packing list, and just waiting at this point.

Now my only concern is whether it's wise to arrow a bull 20-30 yards out with a recurve. I've drilled whitetail in the boiler room and had them run 70-100 yards before they gave up the ghost. I just don't want to get thrown around like a rodeo clown or trampled. In your experience will they typically take off once arrowed, or should I have my track shoes on?

Hey no problem maybe next year is my year! LOL If you are flying into Huslia you will wanna hunt south, north is a lot of native land not huntable. You prob already know that. The only thing I would be wondering about on the recurve is packing more than likely after that bull is arrowed he is gonna hit the brush and that means packing which='s lots of extra work. I say if that is what you want tear it up. I don't think you will have a problem finding bulls up there lots of them. Bio says about 8 per sq. mile. I am sure Fred let you know Huslia is not outsider friendly in most cases so take what you need with you in or you won't have it more than likely.

Honeybadger I have had the good fortune of hunting the same permit multiple times . I will be up there again this year as well. I have taken multiple moose inside of 50 yards. However I am a rifle hunter I didn't need them so close but that's just the way it worked out. That said take the bow you will get the opportunity you are looking for. Good luck maybe we will see you up there.

I would take both.I have been hunting up there the last two years.We have been able to call them in really close both years.I will be heading back this year also.That way you have a option of what to use
    Good Luck

Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna do my best to arrow one. Ill let you know how that turns out.

Zach

It will be an awesome hunt. Don't forget to fish, grouse and duck hunt too. Maybe even take a nap under a big spruce. I have done this hunt 4 times and hunted other areas around Galena and never failed to find a big or cool looking freezer filler and enjoy all the other things to do. Take the bow, you can make decision what to use when in camp.

Jtm9,

Sending you a PM. I have some questions on my packing list. Wanted someone to go over it that has been up there. Thanks.

Zach

Congratulations on the permit, that's a tough one to get. I've successfully hunted that area many times and haven't used a rifle yet. That said, I always have it with. This is a hunt where you will be able to call them in close...sometimes really close. Good shot placement is key. In all cases for me, they have run a short distance away and went down. Use your bow. 57# and 125 gr broadheads will work great.

Quote Originally Posted by cdakrwm View Post
    Congratulations on the permit, that's a tough one to get. I've successfully hunted that area many times and haven't used a rifle yet. That said, I always have it with. This is a hunt where you will be able to call them in close...sometimes really close. Good shot placement is key. In all cases for me, they have run a short distance away and went down. Use your bow. 57# and 125 gr broadheads will work great.
    Thats good news, didn't know if it would have enough behind it. I guess I'll be toting it around. Thanks for the advice.

Zach