Thread: Got her wet tonight for first time.

Default Got her wet tonight for first time.

Went out to knik tonight and ran my airboat for first time... I can tell my jet boat is not going to get used as much anymore. Just simply unbelievable how much fun they are. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369118712.522032.jpg
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I'm not going to say what I thought when I read the title of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by logman 49 View Post
    I thought, "Congrats!"
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by logman 49 View Post
    i thought the same thing..... but really, put in next time at the pond by the upper bridge and run up jim creek to the lakes (only about a mile upriver from bridge). those lakes are all shallow and excellent to learn about sliding and control. you need to get some stick time in and be careful, these things can fool you, they handle different in deep water then in shallow water, my boat should dbe all painted and back together in a week, happy to run with you sometime. Bud
    Wasilla

What took you so long to get her wet? I would have been in the water two weeks ago.
    Great looking boat you will have lots of fun.

The best advice I can give you is to slow down when you are running shallow water, if not you could get in trouble. It's like running on a sheet of plywood with no steering. Don't ask me how I know. LOL

I did put in by the pond next to the bridge ran all over had 4 gallons of fuel left after 6 or 7 hours of play... Had a blast ran shallow and deep water. Tight corners. Pretty much went slow. I surprised it will run on step at 1800 rpms.
    It took me a little bit to take it out. Never driving on before. I was nervous little boy with a new toy. I'm a lot more comfortable with the boat.
    Black call me when you get your boat back I'd like to follow you around.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Try the creek behind Mud Lake that leads to Jim Lake when you feel ready. It's a blast.

In Jim Creek I typically stopped at each fork for a couple minutes to listen for oncoming boat traffic. It's a narrow creek and with no reverse oncoming traffic can be bad. Really bad! Watch out for the non motorized crowd. Most make an effort to pull over in a visible spot but on occasion others do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Try the creek behind Mud Lake that leads to Jim Lake when you feel ready. It's a blast.

In Jim Creek I typically stopped at each fork for a couple minutes to listen for oncoming boat traffic. It's a narrow creek and with no reverse oncoming traffic can be bad. Really bad! Watch out for the non motorized crowd. Most make an effort to pull over in a visible spot but on occasion others do not.

Might wanna give that a few weeks for the water to come up. There are a LOT of new logs in that water, shallow enough that an airboat will hit, too.

Thanks ill give a try. Ran 20mile yesterday way more fun than in the jet boat.... Learn a lesson on sand/slit...not my friend....dam thing is heavy... Almost got my first bear with a bow. But he wouldn't step out of the alders.

I know you have a lot of jet boat experience getting unstuck and you may not know how to get off a sand bar with an airboat. I don't want to sound like a know it all. I just wish some one would have told me a few thing when I started airboating, it would made my life a lot easier.

Silt and sand effect a flat bottom boat differently than other boats, it creates a suction that can be impossible to brake using power. When you try to power out the nose is push deeper in the mud. In order to brake the suction you need to move the rudder back and forth and hit the gas in short burst to get loose. If that does not work cut brush or put a tarp under the boat. I carry a hi-lift to lift my boat and turn it around if I have a problem. I love my hi-lift jack. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Thanks ill give a try. Ran 20mile yesterday way more fun than in the jet boat.... Learn a lesson on sand/slit...not my friend....dam thing is heavy... Almost got my first bear with a bow. But he wouldn't step out of the alders.
    how far up did u go mike, i plan a trip up there soon, but with a rifle. Bud
    Wasilla

We went about 5 miles passed the no fishing sign then ran across the ice and snow up the valley mile or so. Pretty right to base of mountain. The only hiking we did was straight up...good luck.

A lot of fun on that river in a airboat!

Sounds like you had fun with your new airboat. Take your time with it and learn what you can and cant do. Ill be thinking of you guys airboating back home hopefully everthing will be thawed out by the time i get home. Im over in africa hunting let me tell you its a diffrent kind of country but i got a gemsbuck yesterday . Take care and have fun and be safe

Quote Originally Posted by skip olsen View Post
    Sounds like you had fun with your new airboat. Take your time with it and learn what you can and cant do. Ill be thinking of you guys airboating back home hopefully everthing will be thawed out by the time i get home. Im over in africa hunting let me tell you its a diffrent kind of country but i got a gemsbuck yesterday . Take care and have fun and be safe
    Skip, you take care of Don Young over there, I hear he is hunting in So Africa as we speak. Bud
    Wasilla