Thread: 300 RUM... thoughts?

Default 300 RUM... thoughts?

The .300 RUM has been out a while now and I've not messed with it much. A couple of friends of mine shoot this oversized beast- 1 taking a moose and then a Kodiak bear at close range with 200gr bullets, the other has taken a couple of caribou at longish range with the 150gr load and both dropped at the shot. A handful of animals is pretty anecdotal though...

Anybody got any experience with this cartridge for open country shooting?
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Had one for about 7 years in a REM 700 action. Flat shooting, I loved it but have decided to go to 300 WM strictly because its cheaper if you're not reloading ( and I haven't for a while). I never had any complaints. It has some powder behind it, but if the rifle is heavy you can't tell the difference between it and a 300 WM, and you get a couple hundred FPS more. I also like the fact that it is not belted from a reloading standpoint (personal preference). And finally I have 4 boxes and 115 rnds of this ammo for sale (discounted price of course) if you so decide to go with the round.

The other upside is I have yet to go to the store and not have 300 RUM on the shelf, but I feel like I won the lottery when I find my HSM 300 WM on the shelf.

What I would be really curious about is the 300 SAUM, never met anyone that shot it. I always wondered how well it performed on the range...

I have seen a couple animals hit up close with 165 TTSX in the 300 Rummy and it was pretty devastating. My buddy had never recovered a single round from his. I am pretty sure his taxidermist hates it though.

I have a Model 70 that is UN-FIRED for sale if you get interested $1,199.

If I could only own one high power rifle in Alaska, that would be my choice.

I really like mine, definitely a flat shooter. Taken plenty of caribou, from way out. It going to kodiak with me next may.

I used to tote mine around a lot, but I do less so now. It has a specific use, long range and flat shooting with enough energy for Brown bears at close range. I am using my 375 Ruger more now because it is easier to carry and shoot. That said, I REALLY wish I had it on my last Bear hunt with an uphill shot at 250 yards with a perfect rest and no real way to stalk. I could not connect with my 375 Ruger. I just don't shoot it as well at range. The glass is less, the trigger is harder and it is just not as accurate. The RUM shines when hand loaded and it has a chance of shots at the 300 yard and more range. Otherwise, there are other cartridges much easier to shoot, carry and reload. It is pretty popular. Enough so that brass will be available for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    The .300 RUM has been out a while now and I've not messed with it much. A couple of friends of mine shoot this oversized beast- 1 taking a moose and then a Kodiak bear at close range with 200gr bullets, the other has taken a couple of caribou at longish range with the 150gr load and both dropped at the shot. A handful of animals is pretty anecdotal though...

Anybody got any experience with this cartridge for open country shooting?
    I saw the results of a smallish caribou that was shot with a 300 RUM, the shot was through the lungs, but the shock of the bullet was so severe(180 grain x-bullet), it exploded the insides, and green bile/ stomach contents were pouring out the mouth, the nostrils, and the back side of the caribou. The 300 magnums represent everything I don't like in a rifle cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by honeybadger View Post
    The other upside is I have yet to go to the store and not have 300 RUM on the shelf, but I feel like I won the lottery when I find my HSM 300 WM on the shelf.
    This would be a top consideration if you don't reload. If you do reload, check your components and make sure you have what you need for the .300 RUM, or you are pretty much limited to factory ammo until this hoarding problem goes away.

I work at Sportsman's, and I've had a few customers ask me for caliber recommendations. I always tell them to come in at the end of the week when all the popular ammo has been bought and see what is still on the shelf. .300 RUM, .270 Win., 7MM Mag, .35 Whelen.... there are a few others, but those are always there.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

OK........this somewhat related to the OP. I think I was still working at GNG when I received this information, which means it had have come from the Winchester Rep. or from direct conversation with Winchester. That disclosed others have said it is not 100% accurate.

It was and is my understanding that Winchester only produced the Model 70 in .300 RUM for roughly 7 to 10 days. That Remington had forced the stoppage because Winchester had breached the agreement.

Does anyone have any concrete (Not gut feeling) information about this. And/or how many were produced in .300 RUM.

The 300RUM is a big boomer, that's for sure. I have one simply because the deal was to good to pass at the time. It's my least favorite rifle, it would be the first one I'd be willing to sell.

Basically a 30 cal bullet at faster velocities. All this means is extending the shot and the function of the bullet at a further distance. For example, a 180gr 30-06 loaded to 2800fps has 1800fps remaining at 650 yards. This velocity is a published minimum speed for proper bullet expansion by a few of the premium bullet manufacturers. The 300WM with the same bullet shot at 2950fps has 1800fps remaining at 750 yards. The same 180gr bullet shot out of the 300 RUM at 3200fps has 1800fps remaining at 875 yards. If you hunt and shoot inside of 400 yards the .308Win with the same exact bullet shot at 2600fps has 1800fps remaining at 530 yards. Just something to think about...

For the RUM's to operate at their velocity potential they're barreled with 26" or longer barrels, this adds weight and takes away from handling in tight quarters. Most of the shots in Alaska discussed on these forums are fairly close range, less than 200 yards. In general the sheep hunters are typically taking the longest shots.

A comment was made about a 375 Ruger missing at 250 yards, I'm not sure what happened there, to many variables. However, the difference between the 180gr 30-06 and a 300gr 375 Ruger at 250 yards is minimal. Lets assume both rifles are zeroed 2.5" high at 100 yards. The 375 Ruger would only be 1.5" low with 3130 foot pounds of energy when arriving at the 250 yard line. The 30-06 would be 0.25" low with 2280 foot pounds at that distance, a difference of 1.25" or just (2) clicks difference with a 1/4 moa scope. The 300RUM zeroed 2.5" high at 100 yards would hit 1.5" high at 250 yards with 3030 foot pounds of energy.

For what ever it's worth this little ballistics exercise was fun. I like the short barreled 20" 375 Ruger, lots of power in a handy package. In the above example all three hit within a 3" circle at 250 yards with the same 100 yard zero. That's well within the vitals of any animal bigger than a rabbit.

If ultra long range shots are your goal the 300RUM is quite nice. As mentioned by another poster the 300WM is pretty darn good too.

Someone asked about the 300SAUM. I just had a conversation with a Wildcatter this morning. He is competing in a one mile competion in Texas this weekend. He has necked the 300SAUM down to .264 and calls it a 6.5 Sizzle, it's traveling at 3300fps. He's shooting trimmed and pointed 140gr Berger Hybrids. I expect he will do well in his match, the ballistics are crazy on this round...

I had a Sendero 300 RUM and sold it to make room for another 300 RUM that is being built. As Marshal said, it's real advantage is for longer shots... much longer. I loaded my 180 E-Tips to 3400 fps and 210 Bergers to 3130 fps. Both of those loads were good to 1000 yds give or take for expansion.

So bottom line, if I was not going to shoot any farther than 700 yds, I would pick something like a 300 WSM. 500-600 yds, maybe a 300 RCM. Less than 500 maybe a 30-06.

I also agree that a 375 Ruger in a good rifle should easily be able to shoot well past 250 yds accurately and would be my choice over any 30 cal rifle on big bears. That said, I would feel very comfortable with a 300 RUM from point blank to 500 yds on big bears with the right bullet, like a 180 E-Tip.
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

I bought a Sendero 300 RUM, haven't gotten a critters with it yet. It's a heavy gun, but I don't plan on walking too far with it as I don't like packing a moose long distances anyhow. IMG_0453.jpg

If you don't reload, get a 30-06 or 308, a crate of milsurp non-corrosive practice ammo, and a few boxes of 180 partitions for hunting.

I love my rum it is the hardest hitting rifle I have ever shot but have to be careful on shot placement with it. The last 3 moose all over 50" I have shot with it you could put your fist through the entrance hole and the exit was just as big. Needless to say they dropped in their tracks. The closest of those three was 110yds and one was at 360yds. Tried like crazy to shoot 180grn sciroccos out of it but couldn't get them under an inch group I finally went to a 200 grn acubond and the difference was night and day I can now shoot a 3"group at 700yds with it and still have plenty of energy to kill with it. I had the rifle built for me a few years ago and it's heavier than I like but I'll take accuracy over weight any day. I just mounted a huskemaw scope on it but have not gotten to shoot it with that setup yet. I would not hesitate to get another rum and plan to have a full custom built in the near future but try this time to save some weight. But for now my next build is a 257 wby.

Sent while hiding from the boss

The 300RUM is not just about range. Some of the premium mono bullets just perform better at higher velocities which translates into quicker/dramatic kills. I know one hunter who loads 150 GMX hot in his RUM and reports the load just drops elk in their tracks within a close 150-200 yards. That's a reason why I want to try 150 GMX Superformance in my 300 WM at a claimed 3400 fps! Almost as fast as the RUM, but cheaper. Some of the guys I hunt elk with use 30-06 with Winchester XP3 180gr. Yes they kill elk, but not as dramatic as with some other rounds. Often they shoot multiple times, even with well placed shots to drop the elk so another hunter won't have the opportunity to put a tag on it. (elk hunting in Washington State can be crowded) So there just might be some benefit using the RUM at closer ranges. Besides lighter mono bullets, I would think the 200 NP/300RUM would be great all-around combo. While the 300RUM is very good at long range, from everything I read 7mms are the way to go for LR Hunting. I know this sounds bold, but I have one article where the author demonstrates the 7 Rem Mag shooting 168 VLD hunting bullets performs better at long range than a 30-378 shooting X style bullets! I guess his point was the light kicking 7 Mag is a 1000 yard round, even on elk.

My first 300RUM was a stainless 700 in factory plastic with soft recoil pad. It shot factory ammo well, was lightweight and easy to carry and oh, about the feared recoil... what recoil? Shooting 180s it seemed no different than shooting my 300 WM. Everyone warned me about the recoil- yeah right! I enjoyed shooting the RUM off the bench. Then like an idiot I kept reading and was influenced by those crying about packing the 26 inch RUM barrel and had it cut back to 24. What a mistake that was as the RUM just didn't feel right and I sold the rifle. (I hear it's OK to cut back the 338 RUM)

Correct bullet choice will make the RUM shine in the hunting fields and the 300RUM is one of the best 30 calibers we have. The RUM gives you a slight edge/advantage and the confidence to get the job done. If this were not so then why don't all the 30 cal guys/gals just shoot a 308 Win? I guess if one were a subsistence hunter, the 300 RUM would be scorned. But if you want to be prepared to take shots as they come, the RUM is a darn good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by KLK View Post
    I bought a Sendero 300 RUM, haven't gotten a critters with it yet. It's a heavy gun, but I don't plan on walking too far with it as I don't like packing a moose long distances anyhow. IMG_0453.jpg
    I have gotten two moose with it so far and a bear. Wasn't any more meat damage in my opinion than any other gun. 1 moose was a 350 yard shot with 180 grain Nosler Partition, the other was about 150 yards same bullet. Found the bullets in both moose, but not the bear. I'm pretty happy with it so far but it is kind of heavy.

For what its worth I had my Browning A Bolt ,.300 Ultra re barreled to a 8mm Remington Magnum, If there was an 8mm Ultra that wasn't a wild cat id of done that. I am not a fam of .30 caliber. Having said that its a great cartridge.

What a super duper long range round. A good 200 grain bullet, a powerful scope, a long barrel and a good shot should be able to kill herbivores in the next zip code! Picture a super charged 30-06. I don't think I'm riflemen enough to use all it's potential.