Thread: halibut fishing in seward this time of year.

Default halibut fishing in seward this time of year.

I was thinking of going to seward for some halibut but not sure exactly where to go. How far out do I need to go. Do I go east towards montegue or west towards chiswell islands. Some insight and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

East to Cape Junken, weather permitting.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

See this http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...body-at-Seward

We will be heading to Junken from Seward tomorrow.

I was at Junken yesterday. 7 chickens and one rockfish is all we raised all day for 4 of us plus some dogfish, pretty skinny pickens. Water was flat and the sun was shining though, a big improvement!

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Witch View Post
    I was at Junken yesterday. 7 chickens and one rockfish is all we raised all day for 4 of us plus some dogfish, pretty skinny pickens. Water was flat and the sun was shining though, a big improvement!
    'least you had good weather.

isnt cape junken between johnstone bay and little johnstone? Trying to find it on google map. But thanks for the suggestions. Ocnfish you gonna be in seward this weekend?

nevermind found them both.

Just about time you think you know what you are doing .... bam life jumps up and smacks you in the face ... Yesterdays experience was much like Fish Witch. Four guys, 4 chickens and two turkeys, several spiney dogfish. We did run up to Ellerington to limit on really big rockfish. That choice made the day, but also made it a very long day!

Looked like everyone else at the docks had a similar experience, small halibut and rockfish.

Busy with other stuff this weekend, and going for clams Sunday, real big tides this weekend, not good for bottom fishing.

While your window to bottom fish with big tides is smaller, it is sometimes the best fishing as those tides really move the bait fish around and get the bottom fish in a feeding frenzy.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Is there places worth stoping out of seward that are closer then Junken? I would like to go chase butt and rock fish but I only have an 18ft Hewes craft. And it looks like it is a ways out, not to mention the time it takes to get out there.

Still outside the bay, but closer ... At Cape Reserection look east to the first cape on the left, Cape Mansfield, anchor up out front on the Killer bay side in about 250 to 300 ft of water I have had good luck but hook up on smaller halibut, cod, skate, arrowtooth flounder, dogfish and a few yelloweye. This run is not much further than the run to Pony cove, but less protected.

Ok, I have a pretty good idea where that is. I have only been then further then Pony a few times always to the first cove to the west looking for silvers, I have caught a few Ling there and rock fish but not much else. Thanks for the info guys!

We have had good luck on chickens to 15 lbs by simply anchoring in 250 feet of water off the points on the western side of Rugged Island. The halibut certainly aren't worth bragging about, but they are still great eating and it's close to Seward and protected from the Gulf swell.

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    Is there places worth stoping out of seward that are closer then Junken? I would like to go chase butt and rock fish but I only have an 18ft Hewes craft. And it looks like it is a ways out, not to mention the time it takes to get out there.
    I know some boats fish the West side of Rugged Island. I don't know exactly where, but they go there when the can't get out of the bay. Also, heard some people get butts in El dorado Passage. Again, I don't have any spots, but if you're stuck in the bay, it's not a big area. I usually go to Montegue, but it's a long run. However, the water is generally more accommodating than the water between there and Resurrection, but you have to get there. Good luck.

Charterboat Operator

Were here doing Coast-recovery Red salmon seining in Res Bay now and the Deck hand from one of are boats picked up a 75lber in front of the old dock across the bay from town yesterday! 12 feet of water! hearing every ware over here! circle hook and red salmon head..

Haha, man that is sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nemo View Post
    Were here doing Coast-recovery Red salmon seining in Res Bay now and the Deck hand from one of are boats picked up a 75lber in front of the old dock across the bay from town yesterday! 12 feet of water! hearing every ware over here! circle hook and red salmon head..