Thread: Kuiu Black bear hunt - June 1

Default Kuiu Black bear hunt - June 1

I'll be headed out on a blackie hunt on Kuiu on June 1. Wondering how the weather is down that way? Our poor guide (we have some out of staters coming up) REALLY doesn't want us (two Residents) to take the 2 bears we are allowed. Well...i really didn't want to pay guide prices...but I did.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

In Ketchikan we are schedule to have mid 60's and sun all this week. Hopefully we'll be in for a nice spell. The downside will be a lot of rub bears if it continues for a few weeks.

Heck we had snow yesterday morning and frost this morning.I'm betting the weather will not be un-normal for this time of year. I would expect rain or sun 40's night 60'sdays with winds calm to gusting 40.Shooting light from 4am till 10pm
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

The bears are out in full force on POW, and the boyz having been whacking some hogs there!....Weather should be about the same on Kuiu, sounds like the spring snow is way high up on the mountains! You hunting via boat or road system?...I've done both on Kuiu!
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

Boat. Should be fun. Last time we left out of Petersburg (went to Duncan) and it got HOT that week. Nothing moved. We had snow up here, and LOTS of snow still on the ground. Hoping they were getting a little later of a Spring down that way too.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan22 View Post
    I'll be headed out on a blackie hunt on Kuiu on June 1. Wondering how the weather is down that way? Our poor guide (we have some out of staters coming up) REALLY doesn't want us (two Residents) to take the 2 bears we are allowed. Well...i really didn't want to pay guide prices...but I did.
    You going to pay a guide to GET YOU a sheep too?

I had a friend who was supposed to help me out there. Turns out, he has a vagina and so that won't be the case.

Hey just curious about your Kuiu hunt. Or anyone who can give some logistical advice for the hunt. I am a resident also, but my Dad and brother put in for POW 1st choice and Kuiu 2nd. They drew Kuiu, so I would like to go to work setting things up for a hunt. Anything you would share about that particular hunt would be greatly appreciated!

Not sure what you want to know. Hunting was just as you hear, slowly put around in a skiff and spot from the boat. Usually grassy bays. Find out wind direction, and slooooooooowly put to shore, with the wind to your advantage for the stalk (make sure to look in the bay to see what the wind does in there). Judging bears is hard, as they are black..and they stand out from the grass so they all look big...even the tiny sows. I'd also recommend getting as close as possible, all of our bears ran even after the initial kill shot was made. Surprised to see how far they'd make it with a shot that took out heart and lungs.

Thanks for the reply. I live in Eagle River. Wondering if you (or anyone) is aware of someone who rents a skiff down there. We don't have any connection for a boat. Unless we find a skiff to rent, we will be walking the loggin' roads. Never been there at all, just beginning to figure out how we will get in there and hunt, where to sleep, etc. Any experience is appreciated!

If your going to "walk" the logging roads...you may be in for a bit of a surprise....Depending on where you go in at, Port Camden, Security Bay, 3 Mile Arm, or Rowan Bay...your probably going to have quite a long walk to any good hunting areas.

Depending on how your planning on getting there, you'd almost be better off just researching the bays, picking a bay, and flying into it with a small raft and outboard....

I did a fall hunt over there this year on the road system, and we brought mountain bikes....Even then....it kicked our butts....it was actually easier to just walk then to ride the bikes....but a lot of the stuff is so spread out your walking several miles one way at least typically...