Thread: Fly Fishing near Anchorage???

Default Fly Fishing near Anchorage???

Was going to head down to Anchorage from Fairbanks for the long weekend and with the weather getting better was hoping I can get some help on some good spots for some weekend fishing...if there is something close to there that would be worth the time thanks in advance...

Ragu

I would keep driving South to the peninsula. Plenty of open water down there. Not much going on around the big city unless you stay North and fish up near Wasilla and Palmer.

Noted...thanks for the info...

If you don't mind stillwater fishing, casting some flies along the edges of the retreating ice should be productive. Those fish are going to be hungry after our delayed spring.

Any suggestion on where...I am reading a few other post and there are many lakes still frozen....

Quote Originally Posted by NewMexican007 View Post
    Any suggestion on where...I am reading a few other post and there are many lakes still frozen....

I saw some people fishing the Northwest corner of Mirror Lake today. I don't know if it'll be good or bad, I just know there were people there fishing the edge of the ice.

A few that you drive by on the parks in Wasilla, near trunk road. No idea on the fishing in them. Some ice is off on the two big ones in Wasilla and probably some room to get around the edges. Last I saw most of the ice is still on all the lakes in the Kepler Bradley system. Nothing is looking to awesome out in the Valley.

there is still ice on the lakes I have checked out here in the big city. I am headed South this weekend. I would suggest you do the same, or find an open creek up near Wasillla or Palmer. There is open moving water up there, just not sure how dirty it is right now.

Quote Originally Posted by CTobias View Post
    there is still ice on the lakes I have checked out here in the big city. I am headed South this weekend. I would suggest you do the same, or find an open creek up near Wasillla or Palmer. There is open moving water up there, just not sure how dirty it is right now.
    I would recomend checking the regs if you are going to fish a creek aroud Wasilla or Plamer, most are closed right now for the trout spawn.

What about the mouth of Willow Creek? The ADN fishing report mentions a few rainbows being caught there.