Thread: Atlatl traditional hunting

Default Atlatl traditional hunting

Just wanted to pass along some information about an event being held this weekend at the Alaska Native Heritage Center. The following was taken from a flyer that was given to me at work so you'll have give the organizers a call for more details.

The tenth annual Alaska Atlatl competition is being held this saturday, May 19, 2007 from 10am to 2pm. It is being organized for people who are interested in traditional hunting technology. There will be an opportunity to try the spearthrower and dart. A prize will be awarded for the top score.

Events include:
    - accuracy throw at target
    - distance throw at mammoth
    - throw at seal target from sitting position in kayak
    - traditional archery demonstration (demonstration only)

10am - 1pm: Open throw
    1pm: Presentation with Atlatl and traditional demonstrations
    Atlatl competition to follow

Free event: ages 8 and up only

This event is sponsored in part by the Alaska Native Heritage Center, SOA/DNR Office of History and Archaeology, and World Wide Movers.

For further information, contact Richard VanderHoek at 269-8728
    Alaska Native Heritage Center (www.alaskanative.net)
    (907)-330-8025
    (800)-315-6608

Default Anchorage

Is this in Anchorage?

Smile Traditional hunting method....

seems to me that this is the way that "traditional subsistence hunting" should be conducted so that the participants could maintain the tradition and hunting heritage of their ancestors.

Default Crimeney!!!

Can't we just get information without any type of color commentary from the RIGHT????I mean really, do we have to know that "this is the way susbsistence should be done" instead of the way it is already?
    Last edited by gogoalie; 05-15-2007 at 01:09. Reason: add

Default Should have expected the...

Gogoalie,

you should have expected that remark, last I heard pickin' on the natives was the easy thing to do....

Talking Can of worms....

they make easy targets when they want preferential treatment. Sure is funny how the atlatl is considered "sport" now and the rifle is used for subsistence. How do you define traditional and customary?

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Tim

Default Atlatl

And who gave them the rifle, sugar and white bread, altering their ways forever and now belittles them because they're not better white people. Jesus Wept.

Default Atlatl

And who gave them the rifle, sugar and white bread, altering their ways forever and now belittles them because they're not better white people. Jesus Wept.

Default Atlatl

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    Not my fault, my friend. You can't have your cake and eat it too. 44 million acres, nearly a billion dollars, 13 regional corporations, 227 village corporations. Now they (Eklutna) want the same tribal rights that were purposley averted in 1971 with Ancsa. A subsistence fishery on the KENAI? Get real. Get out the birch bark canoe and give'em hell. But the Kenai, 85 miles away? Is that how Grandpa did it? Doubt it. They want to claim "tradition" so show me traditional.

Sounds like preferential treatment to me. Go read the thread/story about closing ATV trails into Wrangell-St. Elias to everyone, except subsistence users. Sure is funny how they can use ATVs and no one else can.

End Rant, didn't mean to get started!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    Not my fault, my friend. You can't have your cake and eat it too. 44 million acres, nearly a billion dollars, 13 regional corporations, 227 village corporations. Now they (Eklutna) want the same tribal rights that were purposley averted in 1971 with Ancsa. A subsistence fishery on the KENAI? Get real. Get out the birch bark canoe and give'em hell. But the Kenai, 85 miles away? Is that how Grandpa did it? Doubt it. They want to claim "tradition" so show me traditional.

Sounds like preferential treatment to me. Go read the thread/story about closing ATV trails into Wrangell-St. Elias to everyone, except subsistence users. Sure is funny how they can use ATVs and no one else can.

End Rant, didn't mean to get started!
    Tim

The customary and traditional part is not the "method", or the "means". What is customary to people in a given area is that they have hunted, trapped, or fished in that area and used that particular resource, fish or game. Federal law allows those living in areas designated rural to receive a preferance, but only in times of low populations.
    I'm not totally familiar with the salmon runs on the Kenai, but I don't believe the recent benefits granted Ninilchik residents will curtail anyone elses fishing.
    While I understand the complaints, I would like to point out that any of you urban folks, should you decide to ever move to a rural area will receive the same benefits. Similiarly, any rural res moving to an urban area loses the rights he left behind.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Rural preference

I think that is the whole point...Ninilchik can hardly be considered rural!