Thread: Bowhunter novice

Default Bowhunter novice

I am currently in the process of buying a home on the Kenai ( hopefully next year ). I would like some information about where and what species that can be hunted in Alaska. I am a fisherman at heart but would love to try and learn more about bowhunting. Thanks

Full curl in anchorage. Best place and costumer service in the state.... And good prices
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Get lots of practice in and don't forget you need your IBEP to hunt.

Ibep ? Is that a licence

Yes it bow cert... You can get one in almost any state...
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Actually, you can bow hunt just about any species without an IBEP certification as long as you are hunting in a general season (not weapons restricted). The hunts that require IBEP certification are the bow-only hunts. If you are just hunting with a bow during a season open to rifles, no certification is necessary. Having said that, the IBEP course is a great way to get some great bow hunting fundamentals and will open up a lot of options (such as the bow-only hunts). It is basically a course that shows you understand the basics of bow hunting and can make a clean, ethical kill. If you look through the ADF&G website, you can find a lot more information on it. As far as species open to bow hunting, the sky's the limit. You can essentially use a bow to hunt anything you can hunt with a rifle if you want to. I would say a majority of bow hunters are targeting moose, caribou, and black bear, but plenty of others go after a variety of other species such as sheep, elk, brown bear, etc...

Micky it would take me an hour of typing to answer the questions you will have about bow hunting and archery in general. I have quite a bit of experience with archery and also archery in Kenai as well as other things you may want to know. When you get settled in give me a shout and we can sit down over a cup or talk over the phone. Archery in alaska is a great sport and adds an element of challenge to any hunt but for some makes it much more rewarding.