Thread: Bear Behavior.....they must have good memories.

Default Bear Behavior.....they must have good memories.

For many years I have been studying bear patterns in my area. This year I have concluded what was a suspicion for years. I have five bears I check on near daily. What is interesting is they return over and over to the locations where there was a bait station year after year.......but there is no station there this year or last year.

There are about eight bait stations I monitor year after year. Last year because of the massive amount of snow most stations were not supplied with bait. But the bears still went there. I had figured that OK......it is reasonable that they would remember locations from the previous year; However this year confirms the behavior.

Hope that makes sense..........

Works on Salmon streams too
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I'm counting on that " trained" behavior for next spring

What is the reason fir "monitoring" bait stations?

Quote Originally Posted by sh View Post
    What is the reason fir "monitoring" bait stations?

WHY NOT..............It is NOT illegal......???? I am a certified card carrying member of the "PUBLIC". That means that I am allowed to go on "PUBLIC" Land...

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Works on Salmon streams too

I see that as different, most salmon streams have salmon every year. These bears are still going into Bear Bait Station Sites have not been used for three years.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I see that as different, most salmon streams have salmon every year. These bears are still going into Bear Bait Station Sites have not been used for three years.
    With as good as their noses are, even after 3 years there's probably still enough scent there to attract them. A lot of baiters use oils and greese, and from what we learned from the Exxon Valdez, it's pretty hard to get oil out of the ground.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Ancient Indian poem:
    When the pine cone fell in the forest
    the eagle saw it
    the deer heard it
    the bear smelled it.

I do question the decision of walking around "monitoring" peoples bait stations. One would either walk in unannounced which is a bad idea as some hunters may be irresponsible enough to shoot at "movement". Or your announcing yourself and the hunter wouldn't really appreciate someone walking in talking loudly to identify themselves while they're trying to hunt the stand...just my thoughts...with all due respect.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

My dog is the same way, she will run up a hill to a certain tree where she saw a cat once years ago while on a bike ride! She never forgets a place we have hunted. Yeah, wierd, but they are creatures of habbit and always looking for a meal! Just as you walk the same route everyday or some stations, creatures of habbit!

Most if not all baiters, are weekend warriers. Probably empty baits cause most are illegal and troopers are allegedly cracking down. I know a guy who was close to being legal, but shy of 1 mile from a house as you drove the road. He was at mile 9. Before that, sure seems hard to get a 1/4 mile off road as it gets steep!

Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    I do question the decision of walking around "monitoring" peoples bait stations. One would either walk in unannounced which is a bad idea as some hunters may be irresponsible enough to shoot at "movement". Or your announcing yourself and the hunter wouldn't really appreciate someone walking in talking loudly to identify themselves while they're trying to hunt the stand...just my thoughts...with all due respect.
    I go on daily walks around here too. Places that see extra traffic are of note, since I usually haul bottles/cans out from those places. There is nothing wrong with hiking about, and of course if you're close to a place that was baited last year or former years, of course you'd pay particular attention to details. More than once I've come back to an area that was baited one or two years before; why not?

The alternative of avoiding walking close to any spot that has been bear baited in the last few years is not an idea that would occur to me. That said, if I knew someone was baiting NOW, yes, I would respect their place on that public ground and walk around - - - until next year.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post

Probably empty baits cause most are illegal and troopers are allegedly cracking down. I know a guy who was close to being legal, but shy of 1 mile from a house as you drove the road. He was at mile 9. Before that, sure seems hard to get a 1/4 mile off road as it gets steep!

Yes.......This is part of the reason I check on stations. I did all I could to get him to close that station; However in the end I had to take Jeff Bryden, LEO (440-5174) to that and 4 other sites, many tickets were issued. Later that year another station was still baited 4 weeks after the season closed, I took AST Grant Cooper in to the site to deal with it, and he did.

Your friend had built and was in the process of remodeling a large tree house and there was/is a home with two preschool boys less than a mile from his illegal tree house station. I will give him credit for doing a nice job of removing everything.

Another guy was operating an ATV on Forest service Land to haul bait to his illegal tree house site. I took John Burick, Criminal Investigator to the site and he was sited for many violations. I am going to take Jeff Bryden in there as there are still cans & carpeting (yes guys carpet their tree houses) he did not remove.

I support the use of Bear Bait Stations............I do NOT appreciate the miss-use of the Chugach National Forest.

Last fall I hauled out 6 bait barrels, which is work for a 67 y/o man in poor physical condition, and not my job.

I track the bears......the bears go to each bait station, add to that human foot prints, drag marks in the snow......and stations are easy to find.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

I track the bears......the bears go to each bait station
    For many years I have been studying bear patterns in my area.
    Interesting hobbie you have. What other insightful observations have you made in the habits of your local bears? Have you determined their average home areas? How far they travel from bedding areas to feeding areas, or any other useful information? I'm very interested to hear what you have learned.

Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Interesting hobbie you have. What other insightful observations have you made in the habits of your local bears? Have you determined their average home areas? How far they travel from bedding areas to feeding areas, or any other useful information? I'm very interested to hear what you have learned.

Thanks for sharing.

One thing that I have found that is interesting, is that as a general rule the bears have a loop that they make when not residing in a rich feeding area. Here is the interesting part: The black bears walk in the opposite direction on these loops to the brown bears. My working theory is that this has to do with the prevailing wind/breeze direction. I am assuming they do not want to bump into the other species at close range in thick cover. This is just a working theory.......and I am very open to other theories.

One thing that I have found that is interesting, is that as a general rule the bears have a loop that they make when not residing in a rich feeding area. Here is the interesting part: The black bears walk in the opposite direction on these loops to the brown bears. My working theory is that this has to do with the prevailing wind/breeze direction. I am assuming they do not want to bump into the other species at close range in thick cover. This is just a working theory.......and I am very open to other theories.
    To that point, suppose a large bear has a home range and feeding area that are "better" than what other smaller bears have. Then suppose that bear is killed or otherwise leaves the area. Do you think the next bear in line would take over the better range?
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    To that point, suppose a large bear has a home range and feeding area that are "better" than what other smaller bears have. Then suppose that bear is killed or otherwise leaves the area. Do you think the next bear in line would take over the better range?

In my experience bears do NOT control an area, the old fable of reaching up and clawing a tree is pure 100% BullSnot. I see Black and Brown Bears feeding in close proximity if the feed is plentiful. Out west I once saw in a massive berry field about 25 bears of both species all feeding together, there was about 150 caribou and maybe 6 moose at the edge of the woods. It was like a picture of the African Serengeti Plateau.

I sometimes see 5 bears both Black & Brown eating sedges at the mouth of Six-mile creek. I have had camps with Brown Bears dig a nest next to my camp, and maybe 7 or 8 bears with-in 100 yards of camp.........as long as there is plenty of salmon or sedges they are not aggressive. Think about humans.......High unemployment=High Crime...........Low unemployment=Low Crime. Just wait till there is zero food in the stores, humans will get deadly aggressive.

Well that is my experience. Oh......bear snore real loud, and they eat human poop.

Oh......bear snore real loud
    Yes they do. When I had my bait station down by you, I had a small bear that would show up every time I baited the station. He would sit like a dog on a ledge above me and wait for me to move away from the barrel. One time he approached to about 30 yards and just laid down in the weeds and took a nap. That little guy snored his head off, I wish I had a smart phone back then to shoot some video of it.

In an unrelated note, any green patches on the mountainside in your stretch of the woods yet? I'll be spotting tomorrow and am likely to run down the road but if I can save the gas I will.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Sorry, Zero green on the hillside. Green on the roadside, some dandelions in the gravel pit. Still about 8" of snow in many places. I think the hillsides are dangerous still.

No sweat, thanks for the info and for saving me the gas.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!