Thread: Silvers on the Kenai

Default Silvers on the Kenai

What are the silver hotspots along the Kenai ?Are they still running in big numbers? I have heard reports that they run right into October right up to the upper river? Can they be taken on the fly rod?

Not sure hotspots and Kenai go together these days...still hoping

I think the HOT SPOTS are where the school is traveling thru. You can catch them one week down at Eagle Rock, the next week above Bings. Each day a school seems to come in with the tide. You just have to have the line in the water when they come thru. I have set for hours waiting, then all the lines light up with a fish on. Then it slows again, you wait for the next school to arrive. Silvers like the softer water near the bank, even in the back waters and in the canals around the islands. You can spinner fish for them, or use eggs and just let them come to you. Flat fish, Wiggle Warts, Quick fish, all work as long as they are Pink in color. Just spend the time on the water and you will soon see where the HOT SPOTS are, right on the end of your line.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky_Ireland View Post
    What are the silver hotspots along the Kenai ?Are they still running in big numbers? I have heard reports that they run right into October right up to the upper river? Can they be taken on the fly rod?
    Yes, silvers are typically available on the upper Kenai mid-September through mid-October. They can most certainly be taken with a fly rod. As others have menioned, the hot spot can vary day to day. There are plenty of back eddies, stream inlets, and other holding water along the upper that can hold silvers. Beating other boats/anglers to these spots can make a big difference (don't sleep in). Lots of river to explore.

Cheers,
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
    Not sure hotspots and Kenai go together these days...still hoping
    The hot spots are all the back eddies when the pinks are in. Pinks are the fish I get MOST excited for on the Kenai. I know it sounds aweful but tidewater pinks, 50 a day is what i'm all about! Also not usually much competition...

Thanks rich, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    The hot spots are all the back eddies when the pinks are in. Pinks are the fish I get MOST excited for on the Kenai. I know it sounds aweful but tidewater pinks, 50 a day is what i'm all about! Also not usually much competition...
    Can't wait til 2014!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Can't wait til 2014!
    Good to see another pink fanatic!

With silvers a virtual no-show in the lower river the first week of August last year, pinks literally saved the trip. For young ones, nothing is more fast and furious than back trolling plugs and spoons and watching 2, 3, 4 rods slamming down in quick succession all day long. No pressure on the kiddo's as the fish basically hook themselves.... just pick up the rod and start reelin' and pumpin'. Best way to build fish fighting skills for your kids, nephew/nieces, or their friends.

As their skills progress, let 'em pitch spoons and spinners to eagerly willing biters to build casting skills and accuracy. They feel their own bites and set the hook for themselves.

Then let 'em graduate to flyfishing... real flycasting and mending .... down and across swing.... FISH ON!

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Wow, the smiles on those kid's faces says it all. Nice !!
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Last year I took my son down to Montana Creek along with my neighbor and his kids. We hoped to catch silvers but only caught chum and pinks. My son managed at age 6 to Hook and land this pig on his own though lol He was thrilled!

Tasted like fishy mud, but it was his first Salmon and wanted to keep it badly so we did and tried to eat it lol. This year we are not keeping any Pinks or chum lol, but here is him and his chum. He was quite proud of his "chum fish", he talked about it all winter lol.

Great pictures of the kids. That's what fishing is all about!

I going to show that to every one in Ireland.!!!!