Thread: Boat Modifications/Welding.

Default Boat Modifications/Welding.

Guys I'm looking to get welding done to my boat. I'd like to get a tab welded to the stern to mount the transducer to (instead of putting holes in the baot) and I'd also like to add 2" Receivers to the bow and stern of the boat. I want a simple way to plug my Capstan winch into the boat if needed, and it looks like lots of the Sportjons have this type of setup.

Can you give me some recommendations of who should I take it to to have these modifications made? I'm located in Anchorage.

Thanks

I just had Rob (AKMud) do some work on my boat. PM him here on the site . . . he does good work, is a gentleman, scholar, and admirer of fine wines . . .

I'll second Rob.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I'll put in a plug for Ben at Silver Streak. He's been welding aluminum and building boats for more than 30yrs. I am quite pleased with his work and his prices for welding are quite reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by arctic_import View Post
    Guys I'm looking to get welding done to my boat. I'd like to get a tab welded to the stern to mount the transducer to (instead of putting holes in the baot) and I'd also like to add 2" Receivers to the bow and stern of the boat. I want a simple way to plug my Capstan winch into the boat if needed, and it looks like lots of the Sportjons have this type of setup.

Can you give me some recommendations of who should I take it to to have these modifications made? I'm located in Anchorage.

Thanks
    You don't have to put holes in your aluminum boat to mount a transducer inboard. Transducers will shoot through everything except air. Try http://vexilar.com/products/index.ph...&prodSubCat=AD look at all the info on the site. You don't have to use their transducers, your old broken off one will do.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Actually this link has all the info you need.
    http://vexilar.com/info/mounting-in-hull-transducers-3/

Music Man speaks the truth, a ton of info on this site about using a "in hull" transducer, they work.......
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

So - on a vee hull does it shoot sideways? I often beach my boat (not always intentionally) and I have had one repair of my ducer....would be nice not to worry about it (but alum does sound like it needs a different ducer).

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    So - on a vee hull does it shoot sideways? I often beach my boat (not always intentionally) and I have had one repair of my ducer....would be nice not to worry about it (but alum does sound like it needs a different ducer).
    depends on the deadrise, mine is relatively flat at 6 degrees and I just set it level, when I bedded the ducer in the epoxy. Seems to me that Vexilar does make some to accommodate a steeper angle....? Maybe other as well, the key is using the correct epoxy to attach it to the inside of the hull and no air bubbles, most decent transducers will shoot right through the aluminum......up to a point of course. Mine is 1/8" but I think Music Man has a 1/4" hull........?
    TR

Yes mine is 1/4" hull and it works fine. Again, test the location at speed first!!!!

Music Man what type depth finder and transducer do you have that you are shooting through 1/4 inch aluminum? I did not know you could do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    Music Man what type depth finder and transducer do you have that you are shooting through 1/4 inch aluminum? I did not know you could do that.
    I think MM and I are using the same type, it was a Garmin transom mount......after the plastic mount was broken, which is what will quickly happen on a riverboat up here...

TR

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    The internet is your friend, please use it. lol
    try this link http://vexilar.com/info/mounting-in-hull-transducers-3/