Thread: Growing tomatoes in the Interior without a greenhouse?

Default Growing tomatoes in the Interior without a greenhouse?

I've been trying to grow tomatoes in Fairbanks every year in a container for the last few years. Last year I grew some plants in large 5 gallon planters on my deck and the plants grew very well and put out some fruit, but I didn't have a single ripe tomato by the time the frost hit. I pulled off the few green ones it produced and brought them in the house, but they all rotted before ripening.

I understand greenhouses are the best choice, but unfortunately a greenhouse is on a long list of things I can't afford yet (ATV, canoe, fly-out hunt, etc...). Does anyone have any tips for growing tomatoes sans greenhouses in the interior? I'm looking at using containers on my porch since we'll be moving within the next year or so, and I don't wanna set up a real garden yet. I am located on a nice south-facing slope with lots of sunlight.

Also, I've seen some type of spray-on product that claims to promote flowering in tomatoes - has anyone tried this and is it worth it? Thanks!

Default Try these

Polar Beauty, Beaver Lodge Slicer, Bloody Butcher, Stupice, all have produced outside in AK and actually are pretty decent tasting.

WW, I'm trying a simple hoop house. Cheap! schedule 40 pvc 1/2 2.12 per 10' piece buy enough to make your house. 4' wide will get you 4' high in the middle. You have options for staking, either straight rebar pounded into the ground, some 2x4's on edge with some cheap clips I think were 4 for 2 bucks. Some 6mm visqueen 10'x25' costs 25 bucks and you're in. Lowes has a home job set up out side. They have a ridge pole zip tied on. I added a ridge pole for about 5 bucks extra in pieces and 2 extra pieces of the 10' pvc. I think the hole thing cost me 60 bucks for a 4' x 16' covered hoop house. (thats plastic, pvc, fittings, glue). I think you could make it cheaper without the fittings but I think I'd add a ridge pole tied on. The one at lowes moves around in the grate they have it in but you'll get the idea. I'm thinking a couple tent stakes and light string off the two end hoops, and one ridge pole it should hold up well if it gets ugly out.

I have friends that put the buckets on castors & roll them in & out daily, leave them in the garage at night.
    Might give it a try.

Hopefully the link works. I saw this the other night. Wish I had seen it sooner. I think you could easily build this with 2x2's for the frame. You won't need the brackets that way and you could use visqueen on top instead of the high dollar plastic. The nice part is the ease of access/venting! You can build the raised beds with pallets ripped apart and retailed/screwed together

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature...&v=RsVyYNy0GqQ

If you end up with green ones, you can sometimes still get them to ripen if you put them in a paper bag or cardboard box with a ripe banana (peel on). Just wash them well, pluck off the stems, and don't let them touch each other.

Quote Originally Posted by northwoods View Post
    If you end up with green ones, you can sometimes still get them to ripen if you put them in a paper bag or cardboard box with a ripe banana (peel on). Just wash them well, pluck off the stems, and don't let them touch each other.
    I've ripened my end of season greenies by simply placing them in a couple of the South facing windows.