Thread: The KeltyFaru Pack

Default The KeltyFaru Pack

Kelty 50th Anniversary Pack bag and a Kifaru Bikini frame.

Got a good start on the KeltyFaru yesterday.

First I made a "pouch" by sewing together two lengths of a ballistic nylon belt I had laying around.

Then I ripped out some seams on the bag so I could get underneath the Map Pouch on the bag. This is where I wanted to sew on the frame pouch. I wanted to keep the Map Pouch. It's handy, right behind my head with the pack on. I removed some old straps that were part of the previous shoulder strap system.

I sewed the pouch in, trimmed off some of the old Map Pouch which was also the old "pouch" that slipped over the old frame. Sewed the seams back up and ended up with this. So far so good.

I began work on some of the straps/buckles that go from the belt to the bag and called it a day. That's the next step. But first I had to stuff the bag and stand it up for a photo-op.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Snyd, what is keeping the Bikini stays from slipping up through the holes in your sewn together webbing?

Or is it intended to be caught by the map pocket material?

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Snyd, what is keeping the Bikini stays from slipping up through the holes in your sewn together webbing?

Or is it intended to be caught by the map pocket material?
    The crossmember on the top of the frame. That is the main loadbearing point just like on the Kifaru packs. That's why I used that heavy duty ballistic nylon belt and really sewed it. Light but tough stuff.

You can see in in the first pic but here's another view.

From the top down

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Thanks. I figured it out a few mintues after my post, but then could not edit it.

Looks like its going to work out really well.

Very cool to see you making some headway on this. Any idea what the finished product is going to weigh? Really like the look of it, seems to ride pretty high too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    Very cool to see you making some headway on this. Any idea what the finished product is going to weigh? Really like the look of it, seems to ride pretty high too.
    The Bikini frame weighs 2lbs 5ozs. The packbag setup like in this pic with the 2 long pouches weighs 3lbs 2 ozs but thats' before I trimmed off some straps I didn't need and added my "frame pouch". Might equal out. So that's 5lbs 7ozs total. Then it also has what Kelty calls a "wet mesh pouch" that weighs 7ozs if I want to use it. It has come in handy at times. Other times I've left it home. It will be about 6lbs for a 7200ci pack. Not too shabby.

Thanks for sharing. It got the cogs in my head turning. Can I ask what you used to sew it? Awl?

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by ERL View Post
    Thanks for sharing. It got the cogs in my head turning. Can I ask what you used to sew it? Awl?
    1950's Vintage... used to be my Mother In-laws. Pretty cool heavy duty old machine. The main issue is has is the operator. I'm no seamster... Fake it till ya make it...

nice! Good to know a sewing machine can do this job. I was thinking you might need a sewing awl. I'll see if my wife might let me use her machine to modify/repair my pack.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Ya, just get a good needle and heavy duty thread. I used nylon thread for upholstery. Pretty strong stuff. You can't pull it and break it.
    nice! Good to know a sewing machine can do this job. I was thinking you might need a sewing awl. I'll see if my wife might let me use her machine to modify/repair my pack.Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

nice! Good to know a sewing machine can do this job. I was thinking you might need a sewing awl. I'll see if my wife might let me use her machine to modify/repair my pack.
    Modern machines can't be compared to what Snyd is using. Modern machines may not have a way to adjust the tension on the bobbin thread to compensate for the tension plastic fabrics put on the needle/thread system. They also have plastic gears and can break when being forced into heavy material.

Most modern machines can handle 1000 cordura or smaller, but may not handle webbing. All machines are different.

Topstitch needles and denium needles are the best. topstitch have a larger whole for thicker threads.

Well the KeltyFaru is done. I'm just waiting on my small belt from Kifaru. We had a communication breakdown of sorts but Kifaru is taking care of it and my small belt should be here by the 10th. Kudos to Kifaru. In the pics you can see the attachment points for the Delta Straps that come off the belt.

I'm holding it suspended here.

You can see the Delta Strap attachment points. The bag already had the upper ones. I had to sew on a wider strap adjuster and add the bottom ones.

I sewed a strap to the black webbing and brought it up through the seam to attach to the frame. The 2 stitche just hold it to the bag but the main anchor points are on the webbing that the Delta strap attached to as well. It runs the circumference of the bag. I then wrapped the straps around the frame and secured them with a slider. At this point I have left them long and hooked them to the strap adusters on the frame just cuz I can.

The bottom compression straps on the bag slip right up through loops on the bottom of the frame. Probably not needed but it does help suck the bag up.

Compression straps used to have these "T-Bars" on them. I cut em off and just sewed the straps on.

I cut some slits to allow the loops on the top of the frame to be inside the bag as attachment points for a water bladder, hanging meat bag, etc. The bag also as a big internal pouch that is meant for a bladder. I may cut that strap off, I don't think I'll need it now with the frame loops.

I snapped some pics of the features of the bag cuz I like it so much. Maybe it's cuz I'm used to it and have been using it for years sheep hunting. It kinda has some sentimental value

Empty pack all cinched up with all 3 pouches attached.

It turned out pretty good I think. I've weighed everything and it's 6lbs maxed out.

Bikini Frame with belt, Main Bag and all 3 pouches- 5lbs 12ozs
    Bikini Frame with belt, Main Bag and 2 Long pouches 5lbs 5ozs
    Bikini Frame with belt is 2lbs 5ozs - 1lb 11ozs without.

Gunslinger rifle holder is 4 ozs. Not shown in pics.

I havent messed with it yet. Might go a different route but if I go with it like I've done and go with the 2 long pouches only I'm at 5lbs 9ozs for 7200 cubes. 6lbs with adding the wet mesh pouch. I might be able to trim some straps and buckles at some point but not just yet. 6lbs all up is great as far as I'm concerned.

Next project is some type of hanging food/meat bag