Thread: Glock 20sf in Anchorage?

Default Glock 20sf in Anchorage?

After taking a handgun class last week my wife has decided she wants a glock. Looking primarily for a bear defense gun and I think the 20sf would fit the bill. Has anyone seen one in a shop recently? I can buy one online but I want her to hold one before we pull the trigger so to speak.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Check with Gunrunners, they sell new and used guns. Have had them on occasion. If no luck, maybe a forum member can show you theirs. Mine is full size. I can ask a buddy who has one if it works to meet up to check it out. Also G29sf could be an option, but they are pretty snappy, where the 20's are pretty nice!

Bought my Gen 3 20SF from Great Northern Guns a few months ago. Glocks are very commonly stocked around town, but I like to shop local dealers if at all possible. I'll say the Glock 20 (even the SF) is a big frame gun (for a lady or small hand person) with a bit of recoil with heavier bullets. Your wife may want to shoot one (or similar) prior to buying. You have a massive amount of firepower with 15 + 1 rounds of 10mm. Should be a decent trail/woods gun. My first choice in handguns in bear country has been a Ruger .454 Casull in a shoulder holster.

The nice folks at Alaska Tactical let my wife hold a customers 20sf today and it's very large, her finger does not reach the trigger properly. Looks like back to square one.

I have a 454 and she hates it, way to big for her, maybe a 1911 style in 40. The guy at Sportsmans had her holding a SW500 but that would be worse than my casull.

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

What about a 29?
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Might look at one, but I am thinking it's going to have the same problem..

Try a Gen 4 20. I don't care what Glock says but they are smaller. Ive measured them and the Gen 4 is smaller. Sportsmans usually gets them in in big batches.

How far away is her hand from being able to grip? What about a G20SF with a grip reduction?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I was going to say to check out Alaska Tactical as they had some gen 3 a few days ago when I was taking a class there, looks like you already did. If you can find a Gen 4 let her try that out or maybe a grip reduction as stated above.

Alaska Tactical said even with the reduction on the gun it would be to big. Its the length of pull so to speak. I might buy one anyway, if she does not like it I could use it

How about a 45 LC? Fair grip for a woman, moderate recoil and and capable defense power.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

If the SF grip is too big for her, consider a 1911 in 10mm. I just picked up a Dan Wesson Bobtail and I love it.

Rock Islands 10mm has been getting good reviews and its very reasonably priced.
    https://us.armscor.com/products/1911...cal-ii-fs-10mm

I believe BRWNBR carried a 1911 style 10mm on a custom 6" slide/bbl.