Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .45-70

Default .45-70

sooo...anybody able to come close to mimicking buffalo bore for .45-70... I own the gun but don't load for it...thinking about picking up the dies and trying it though...
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

I love the 45-70. It's all I'm going to use this year. There one of the easiest rounds to load. I recommend a Marlin. You can put a pretty heavy and hot round through it. Great Gun.

That is what I own. I inherited the rifle. 1895 ported, ghost ring, bear proof ejector, hi viz front post, big loop. like the gun a lot.

I have close to the same. Who makes it? What's the Bear proof thing.

marlin. my father had the mods done at wild west some years ago.

Well congrats on the gun. Sorry you had to inherit it.

I have an 1895 that is pretty finicky. If I am loading 300grain jacketed bullets I can do about anything else, but if I try to go heavier almost nothing works.

Did your dad have a pet load (hand or factory loaded) that he kept in stock for that rifle? If he owned it long enough to figure it out there is no need to re-invent the wheel.

Lots of powders to choose from.

Also, count your rifling ridges. IIRC some of these shipped with 8 grooves (suitable for cast bullets) while some of them had some many many groove not so deep (tall) rifling lands in them that work 'better' than regular with jacketed bullets but no so good with cast. Just make sure it is unloaded and take a peek at the muzzle. You got eight grooves or 20-some?

Looks like 8 grooves. He did not have any ammunition for the rifle no. I shoot buffalo bore ok. Just rather load my own for 1/3 the price ya know...

Quote Originally Posted by ASUS-DAG View Post
    Well congrats on the gun. Sorry you had to inherit it.
    No worries. Happened when I was 14 been 11 years now.

Getcherself a Hodgdon manual, some H-322, a bunch of Cast-Performance 405s or heavier and start experimenting......... That is once you get your nearly unobtainable back-ordered dies and components.
    Now what ?

For eleven bears the Hornady 350 gr.rn bullet at 1880fps made them go soupy and drop. One shot chest on at 75 yards had the exit hole three inches above the tail ruining the spine.The othe all much closer through both front shoulders and down. The Hornady 350rn is built for the 458winmag and hold together great in the 45/70. I believe you are just bumping your shoulder harder than need with big bullets over 1,950fps in 45/70.JMOFO
    Its hard to beat the simple forty dollar lee loader for 45/70

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Class...h-All+Products
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I can get the dies and bullets and do have brass...i have primers as well. I gotta look through my tote of powders...

Get some 350 Hornadys or 400 Speers and a pound of one of the 4198s. Log on to Hodgdon's online data manual and have at it. If you want to shoot cast you'll have to look elsewhere for souped up data, but it isn't hard to find and you can be sure you are safe using data for the same weight jacketed for cast. 3031 is also a good powder for the 45/70, reduce Elmer Keith's load by a grain or so and work up, 400s at 1900fps aren't a laughing matter on either end!

Love the 3031, have been using it on my 45-70 and 458 loads for over a decade. I have been working on some loads for the 45-70 in my 1895ss for the last two seasons. My current load proven on Moose and Bears using cast bullets is as fallows. The load I like for cast bullets in the 45-70 are the Oregon Trail, 405 gr. loaded with RL-7. using 45-47 gr. This is without a doubt, a level 3 load, at the top of the curve. This moves at just over or under 2000 fps depending on how heavy the load is. This is what I use as my back up when guiding as well. Never had any split cases, just have a good stance when firing this round.

425 pyle-driver JR beartooth at 1700 or so. I called them and they said H322 at 50gr was the magic number. Start load at 47 max was 53 or so. I didn't work up to 53 and 50 was enough for me. I also shoot 400gr Speers at 1833 with H335 at 57.7 grains. It is listed in there book and almost a max load. This numbers are in a guide gun with a 18" ported barrel. Also they thump on both ends. A half a box and I'm done shooting the rifle.

I saw this thread and it caught my eye because I bought a gently used Marlin about three weeks ago and after doing some research discovered it was made in 1974. The rifle also came with dies and some loaded rounds, brass and most of a box of Hornady Interlocks in 350gr.If I remember the person I bought it from said his load was 53gr's of Varget and was fairly mild and with any luck I'll spend some time at the range tomorrow.

I'm always fascinated to read about hot loads in the 45-70, and I've tried a few of them. But I don't like to shoot them. In the 1895 and especially the GG, a 400 at around 1500 or 1550 is a lot more enjoyable to shoot, and from what I can tell just as effective on game inside 100 yards.

I'm fortunate enough to own one of the original 450 Alaskans, and it easily hucks a 400 grain bullet to 2000+ with a lot of different loads. It doesn't hurt nearly so bad to shoot due to stock configuration, so I've used it a lot.

For the life of me though, I can't see any difference in performance on game between the same 400 at 1550 and 2000+. Seems like there ought to be quicker kills or more penetration or something, but I don't see it when following bloody holes through game.

You will notice a difference in trajectory past 100 yards, but I'm an old guy and my eyes just won't let me do the kind of shooting I feel is required past 100 yards with open sights. Scopes, yeah, but I'm not scoping either rifle.

A 400 at 1550 does a whale of a good job on game while not hurting near so bad on the back end. In this era of expensive and sometimes scarce components, a guy has to ask himself if he needs all that geewhiz in launching a bullet at game. I've found my answers, but other guys will have to try backing off their loads a little if they're inclined, and make up their own minds.

Any one using H322 in their 45-70 loads with cast? Working on a load clone for Garret.

Brown Bear, I like the way you think. I load a Cast Performance 460gr going about 1550fps with 3031 or the Hornady 350gr, also with 3031, going about 1800fps. Both are not unpleasant to shoot. Both shoot very well. I'm confident either of those pills will do their job on an animal at those speeds. I'm just not convinced I need the extra velocity for anything, if I get hit by a train it won't matter if it was going 60mph or 100mph.........

Quote Originally Posted by Taliho View Post
    Any one using H322 in their 45-70 loads with cast? Working on a load clone for Garret.
    Some guy's over on the Marlin Site have been using it with 405gr's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast