Thread: How Does June Look For Black Bear?

Default How Does June Look For Black Bear?

Hi all,

I've been reading the forums for awhile now. I'm getting the impression that in a typical year, mid to late May is best for coastal bear hunting, and that during June, they are typically heading back up to the high country. Here in Minnesota, we are having a super late spring. The snow is gone, and the lakes have only recently melted. Judging by many of the posts I have read, it sounds like you're having some of the same conditions up there as well. My question is, what are your thoughts on the potential for hunting the coastal blackies in June?

I'm driving up from Minnesota, and staying for most of the summer. I'm planning to base out of homer, and will have my 19' boat along - which I plan to use for hunting and camping across the bay. I'm willing to climb for bears, but it sure would be nice to catch them along the coast. Based on this year, and your experiences, do you think I stand a fair chance of that? Open to any discussion or advice.

Thanks,

Tim

things are late weather wise but bears are out doing thier thing.. Late snow does seem to be slowing them down in the higher country a bit though but to find a bear you just have to find the food cause they gotta eat.. All depends on what you want out of a bear hunt....are you looking for an experience,looking for a bear as food or just trophy.. They will start rubbing before long but to some hides dont matter as its what they are eating that is more important.. Blackies are fun to hunt anytime you see them and the season allows as far as i am concerned.. Provided they are not eating much garbage of fish they taste pretty darn good and even a rubbed hide looks ok tanned on a hook..

In general, black bear hunting is a little more difficult in June if you are planning a spot and stalk hunt. The main reason for this is the foliage is thicker and they are harder to spot. If you are baiting, June can be great for hunting black bears. I think you will do just fine in June, but you might have to work harder for them if you are planning on a spot and stalk hunt. And, like you said, you might have to hike into the high country. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It makes for a well earned and well deserved hunt if you ask me. I personally like to go a little earlier in the season though before the the leaves come out. One advantage to hunting in June is the long daylight hours which maximizes the time you can hunt. However in the heat of the day I have noticed bears seem to be generally inactive. And it is harder to take care of meat. This year might be different though. You are right that we are having a late spring. Time will tell if the hunting in June will be good or not. Your guess is as good as anyone else's I suppose. Right now the birch trees are just starting to bud around my house. Normally they start budding around the first of May.

Thanks.

I'm mostly looking for the experience. The meat and a good skull would be nice. I'm not too worried about the hide; I've shot quite a few bears in MN and BC and won't be making a rug.

I was planning on hunting Katchemak Bay across from Homer. I've also seen posts recently that suggest this area might be pretty busy with bear hunters and boats, and since I am a person who values seclusion, I'm definitely open to suggestions if you can think of something better.

I was down in SE a few years back and it was late May. Was HOT that week and we didn't see much. Did see a few though. I'm headed out June 1 down to Kuiu after bears. Told June is good to see LOTS, however their hides can be marginal since its later. But I was told this was the best time to see lots. Guess we'll both find out.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Remember that if you can access it in a 19 foot boat, just about everyone else on the ocean can access the area too. Think outside the box to up your odds.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212