Thread: Best phone coverage in Alaska? Particularly Homer.

Default Best phone coverage in Alaska? Particularly Homer.

While I hate having to use it, sometimes you have to. What is everyone's opinion on the company with the best coverage in Alaska? I am interested in Homer particularly because I'll be relocating there in less than a month. Thanks

I have used both ACS and AT&T. My friend uses GCI. Far out east end road, they all drop off at the same place. Out in the hills out east, ACS may work with a repeater, or at the tops of ridges.

AT&T has far better data service with a smart phone.

GCI uses AT&T towers (currently, ACS and GCI are merging someday).

ACS many times drops calls when handing off towers.

AT&T works better on many parts of the road system north of Homer and in Anchorage area.

I had AT&T for years before switching to ACS last summer. I got frustrated at the service, and switched back to AT&T last month. My problems with ACS were mostly data related, and voice service while traveling in AK, and the lower 48.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks, I currently have ATT so I'll probably just stick with them for now in that case.

I have no experience on the Kenai peninsula, but I run two phones for the past two years. One is AT&T and the other is acs. Hands down the acs system has better overall coverage in matsu, fbks, delta, Valdez, and most places in between. Verizon is going online up here on July 1 and I am anxiously awaiting to see if that knocks down prices a bit. It should also improve coverage to some degree as I am told they are putting in their own towers as well. Currently Verizon is partners with acs but don't know if that is going to continue.

Plus 1 for acs even on the peninsula. I thought for a short time it would be better to go AT&T so I did what a costly mistake to the tune of almost a grand to switch back all my phones after several months of the worst service. I would drop call in the middle of anchorage to the tune of dozens a day, on a commute to the valley drop the same call 5 times... Really it's the busiest highway in alaska most of the time you would think they would cover it. Then my wife's phone had an issue and it was clearly manufactures fault but I was told to claim insurance cause the would just say it was her fault. Any acs phone I ever had a problem the issues were dealt with locally and most always consisted of them just swapping out my phone.. AT&T is a joke at best... I don't claim acs to be the greatest but by far the lessor of two evils

I was with ACS for 7+ years and decided to try out AT&T... due to exceptionally poor service in the Fairbanks area... the next month I was back at ACS.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

If you get away from the road system and head to the bush then GCI is the only way to go. They received millions in grant money three years ago and installed cell systems in nearly every village in the state. ACS was caught flat footed and decided to join GCI rather than fight. The new joint venture still has many FCC and State rules to work through, but I doubt if their two year time frame anounced last summer will be accurate.

AT&T has towers all over the state, but they are DOD systems and they cannot violate their single-source contract to provide public communications.