Thread: Removing rust?

Default Removing rust?

I just found out one of my pistol has some rust on it, I use WD40 and a SS brush to remove most of it, is there something better than WD40 that will eat/remove the rust?

I used Flitz polish with the buffing wheel on the Dremel with great results
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Oil like quality gun oil or ATF and OOOO steel wool is best, not WD-40 which is a great water displacer and poor rust inhibitor. Bluings are oxide and rust is oxide . . . Anything that will remove rust will remove your bluing too. You want to arrest the rusting process, keep it from getting worse and that means oil then knocking of the red bits with steel wool down to the brown/black oxides under the red.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

As opposed to steel wool, use a bronze "toothbrush" with oil instead, as the steel wool can abrade the bluing fairly rapidly. The bronze is more gentle, and will probably leave more bluing behind. Good luck, hope its not too bad. Steel wool can be used and will agressively remove rust in most cases.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Chor-Boy (stainless or bronze) with oil. I use motor oil 10w-30 , but anything will work. The oil will let the chor-boy slide over smooth, un-rusted, areas and not damage them. It will dig out the rust. Avoid steel wool as it puts fine lines of plain iron all over your gun and little particles in every crevice. Iron will rust with very little help. IMHO steel wool should never be in the presence of anything you value. Flitz is too abrasive for blues finish;-great polishing compound for stainless or un-blued parts. W&R