Thread: alaska grow buckets?

Default alaska grow buckets?

Saw this last night....and with wanting to grow a few peppers/cherry tomatoes I thought it might be a decent idea?

Anyone try it?

http://alaskagrowbuckets.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    Saw this last night....and with wanting to grow a few peppers/cherry tomatoes I thought it might be a decent idea?

Anyone try it?

http://alaskagrowbuckets.com/
    I like his idea on the float system. You can google up about a zillion of "self watering containers / systems"...

Used them (similar ones) years ago in the Green house.
    I went to 16" X 16" X 8' soil boxes with 4 or 5 plants in each, & have better results. IMO

The Green house is the biggest factor for growing toms, peppers & cucs.

Thumbs up Self-watering gutter gardening . . .

My wife is knee-deep in setting up a series of these in the new greenhouse . . .

Seems quite the thing these days . . type "self watering gutter garden" into Google . .

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    My wife is knee-deep in setting up a series of these in the new greenhouse . . .

Seems quite the thing these days . . type "self watering gutter garden" into Google . .
    Marcus
    after a seasons use of the rain gutter system, what do you (your wife) think of it? A couple yrs ago I rigged some grow buckets and liked the results, however, the more I look at the rain gutter system the better I like it, but I would like to hear what your opinion is now that you've tried it.
    Thanks
    John

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    Marcus
    after a seasons use of the rain gutter system, what do you (your wife) think of it? A couple yrs ago I rigged some grow buckets and liked the results, however, the more I look at the rain gutter system the better I like it, but I would like to hear what your opinion is now that you've tried it.
    Thanks
    John

John,

Actually my wife started using the rain gutters just this year. Last year she planted in raised beds inside the greenhouse.

So far, the difference is astounding. For her, the watering is much easier and the plants seem to like it better.

From where I sit, the plants are growing like crazy, and I think it's because the buckets let the dirt get warmer. We're eating fresh cukes and four kinds of lettuce so far . . little tomatoes on the vines . . the greenhouse is not heated.

Will try to get some photos up by the weekend. Also will get my wife's comments and share them.

John

Thumbs up Gutter gardening . . .

John,

Here are a couple photos of my wife's gutter-gardening:

Attachment 71782Attachment 71783

My wife says a chief difference between this year's gutter-garden and last year's beds is a huge decrease in the use of water . . maybe as little as half as much with the gutters. Judge the growth for yourself . . she uses no commercial fertilizer . . only manure, compost, and such.

She put fresh chard and kale in my omelet this morning.

If you decide to try it, give me a holler . . I think I have a better way to secure the gutters to their wooden frames.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    John,

Here are a couple photos of my wife's gutter-gardening:

Attachment 71782Attachment 71783

My wife says a chief difference between this year's gutter-garden and last year's beds is a huge decrease in the use of water . . maybe as little as half as much with the gutters. Judge the growth for yourself . . she uses no commercial fertilizer . . only manure, compost, and such.

She put fresh chard and kale in my omelet this morning.

If you decide to try it, give me a holler . . I think I have a better way to secure the gutters to their wooden frames.

John
    John
    that's a very nice looking garden/green house.. I've already decided to do it.. I have a small green house (8x10) and only room for a dozen buckets for tomatoes. then I squeeze in a couple more smaller buckets for a couple cucumbers... I don't expect to gain any room so to speak by converting to the gutter system, but this year I've had to top off the "self watering" buckets every other day due to the heat. I think a gutter system with a 30+ gallon (garbage can) water reservoir on line would give me a little more flexability in regards to other interests (halibut, salmon, etc).

John