Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JetBoil canisters prohibited

Default JetBoil canisters prohibited

Hi folks,

Just a reminder that replacement canisters for the ever-popular JetBoil stoves are prohibited from air transport on either passenger or all-cargo aircraft! I know there are a few of these floating around, and thought a reminder was in order for folks planning to use JetBoil on hunting trips this coming fall.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Never heard of them??

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

They are pressurized isobutane cartridges that screw onto the bottom of the stove.

I have a GIGA Snow Peak stove that uses them.... and I'm coming to Wrangell for a fall trip... I'm hoping that a store carries them or I can order them and have it there?

If they are the same fuel container as the Jet Boil you can get them at Fred Meyers or Mt. View Sports.

Quote Originally Posted by KRS View Post
    They are pressurized isobutane cartridges that screw onto the bottom of the stove.

I have a GIGA Snow Peak stove that uses them.... and I'm coming to Wrangell for a fall trip... I'm hoping that a store carries them or I can order them and have it there?
    Probably very limited selection of stove fuels, verify with local sources. My experience is not to count on anything except 1 lb propane bottles or gallon jugs of coleman fuel.

No idea how to arrange transport of stove fuel, or if it is even possible.

Default shipping coleman fuel

From my experince it's cheaper to buy fuel at your depature site, if possible you might want to check with your airtaxi operator to aarange to have a gallon or two waiting for you. I believe you can ship it as cargo (like on NAC)but the hazmat fee is not worth it in my opinion. Last year when we flew out of Kotz we just ran over to the A&C store and bought two gallons of coleman fuel prior to heading out. I think it was like 8 or 12 dollars a gallon???? Definatley cheaper than having it shipped from ANC and beyond.

Default HAZMAT fees

Quote Originally Posted by francko View Post
    From my experince it's cheaper to buy fuel at your depature site, if possible you might want to check with your airtaxi operator to aarange to have a gallon or two waiting for you. I believe you can ship it as cargo (like on NAC)but the hazmat fee is not worth it in my opinion. Last year when we flew out of Kotz we just ran over to the A&C store and bought two gallons of coleman fuel prior to heading out. I think it was like 8 or 12 dollars a gallon???? Definatley cheaper than having it shipped from ANC and beyond.
    The going cargo rate for HAZMAT shipments is up to $50, regardless of if it's a single butane stove lighter or a whole pallet of white gas. Then you pay the per-pound freight rate. You are correct that it's cheaper to buy locally, but you must make sure the stuff is available locally. I use a 5-gallon propane cylinder, which is usually not available locally. Anyway, one more thing to double-check!

Don't try to sneak this stuff through either! Many cargo outfits are headed toward screening of some or all of their outbound freight. Trust me, you don't want to get caught sneaking stuff aboard an aircraft these days.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

The Jetboil stove uses the same canister type as many other pressurized gas stoves, the 7/16 NS threaded Lindal resealable valve. For example, if you have an MSR pressurized gas stove, it uses the same canister type. You can use the MSR canisters with the JetBoil and vice versa.

You can probably find the canisters fairly easily in larger towns, at WalMart, KMart, outfitters, etc. It will be tougher to find in some villages and other remote locations.

Quote Originally Posted by KRS View Post

Try REI and Sportsmans warehouse, they should both have the jetboil fuels.

Wrangell is small - no REI, sportsman warehouse, walmart, kmart - you're gonna be limited to whatever the local hardware/grocery/boat supply/maybe a small sporting goods has and that will be it. Verify availability well before you go.

Quote Originally Posted by stevesch View Post
    Wrangell is small - no REI, sportsman warehouse, walmart, kmart - you're gonna be limited to whatever the local hardware/grocery/boat supply/maybe a small sporting goods has and that will be it. Verify availability well before you go.
    Yep.

Thanks for responses.

I wonder if everyone even read the original post?

I will need to arrange to have it there... and I'll post a follow-up when I figure it out.

Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by stevesch View Post
    Probably very limited selection of stove fuels, verify with local sources. My experience is not to count on anything except 1 lb propane bottles or gallon jugs of coleman fuel.

No idea how to arrange transport of stove fuel, or if it is even possible.
    Ya, I'm worried that I purchased the wrong stove for the trip

HIJACK officially over (my apologies )

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Don't try to sneak this stuff through either! Many cargo outfits are headed toward screening of some or all of their outbound freight. Trust me, you don't want to get caught sneaking stuff aboard an aircraft these days.

-Mike
    I'm a DOT certified HAZMAT transport guy and I can second this. 49CFR mandates a minimum $150,000 fine if your caught with class 3 (flammable) over the exempted quantity. Dunno if they acutally prosecute.

So, what is the exempted quantity?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

They are easy enough to pick up most anywhere you find sporting goods as I found out 2 weeks ago in Anchorage.

Sportsmans warehouse had plenty of them and still did before I flew out 2 days ago. The Fairbanks store had lenty as well.

Doug

Yes, but it's not finding them in Anchortown that is the problem. IT is when you get out off the road system that you have a problem. I know in Aniak that all the AC here has is the one pound propane bottles. I haven't seen the gallon jugs of Coleman fuel yet.

Does anyone know if you can buy JetBoil canisters in Kodiak? I'm doing a backpack goat hunt in September and was planning on using a JetBoil stove. I also have an MSR Whisperlite International I could bring as a backup. I'm sure I can find Coleman fuel in town...if not, it'll burn unleaded gasoline if needed.

Orions Sports, 1247 Mill Bay Road, Kodiak, 907-486-8380

Thanks, Bill S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast