Thread: Moose Liver Weight?

Default Moose Liver Weight?

Anybody have numbers on the average weight of a moose liver? And I am also interested in comments on flavor quality relative to the rut. Is there a difference or not?

Thanks!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Anybody have numbers on the average weight of a moose liver? And I am also interested in comments on flavor quality relative to the rut. Is there a difference or not?

Thanks!

-Mike
    Never weighed one, but they're huge, to say the least. As to taste, I've always thought moose liver was much better than beef liver. As you know, liver-and-onions with bread and butter are almost a ritual in moose camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Is there a difference or not?

Thanks!

-Mike
    Your kidding......... if a bull moose is in heavy rut the liver has big spots or sores all over it and if I remember correctly is very soft. It looked like it's infected.

Most of the livers I have taken are between 10-15 lbs. We usually make liver sausage. Last year we saved 3 livers from moose, since the sausage only uses 1/3 liver 2/3 pork we've eaten a lot of sausage. Most years we hack off the best looking part of the liver and end up having plenty. I do my best never to shoot an animal in the rut, eating them is never pleasant, especially the organs.