Thread: anyone try a turkey choke on geese/ducks?

Default anyone try a turkey choke on geese/ducks?

Been thinking of changing chokes on my 12 gauge to tighten my patterns and get a little extra distance.Was thinking to try a turkey choke and wondering if anyone here has tried and if so what your expierience was .

First, assuming you have the same restrictions on steel shot that we do here, it might be tough to even find a turkey choke that will handle steel shot. Now, you might get away with other non-toxic shot but that is going to be expensive skybusting ammo.

in general, a modified choke shooting steel is comparable to full shooting lead, the steel just doesn't travel as far and looses its punch sooner. if you want tighter then full, you have to be a lot better shot then i am. Bud
    Wasilla

Not to mention the damage it will do to your shogun barrel. They do make chokes that are made for extended range and are already approved for steel. Check out Patternmaster, Kicks, Brileys, etc. They may be more in line with what you are looking for, and won't damage you or your gun.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Not to mention the damage it will do to your shogun barrel. They do make chokes that are made for extended range and are already approved for steel. Check out Patternmaster, Kicks, Brileys, etc. They may be more in line with what you are looking for, and won't damage you or your gun.

Patternmaster Extended Range. I was shooting snows @ 60-70 yards in Arkansas. Make sure you practice shots like that, don't just expect the choke to do the work.

I second the vote for patternmaster extended range. I use it for geese and cranes all the time and am very happy with the results.

Thanks guys.Going to try the patternmaster extended range.I've been hunting with shotguns since a kid but never fiddled around with chokes much so i'm still learning but that seems to be exactly what I was looking for.

Another vote for the patternmaster extended range. Highly impressed.

Unconfirmed word I heard is that odd number shot works better (1 & 3). Can't figure out the science behind it and can't verify. Probably just a shop rumor

Another vote for the PatternMaster. I was a believer the first trip I used it on and was killing snows at 50 and 60yds.