Thread: A question about "North to Alaska" / Removing kings from the water ?

Default A question about "North to Alaska" / Removing kings from the water ?

I was watching "North to Alaska". They were on The Good News River and Audrey caught a king.

They pulled it out of the water, took pictures, and then put it back in the water and let it go. Based on what I read here, I thought once it leaves the water, it's yours. No?

brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

They are above the law.....

My understanding is it has to do with the river. If its c&r only then the fish can't leave the water. If its a river where you can catch and kill then what they did is legally fine. Ethically is a different story.

For Cook Inlet salt & fresh waters. My understanding was that if you remove a King salmon 20 inches or longer from the water, it must be retained and becomes part of the bag limit of the person who originally hooked the fish...same goes for Coho.
    "Grin and Bear It"

I double checked the regs and tearbear is exactly right. Any king over 20 inches or silver over 16 inches that is removed from the water becomes part of the bag limit of whoever hooked the fish. Page 16 of 2013 south central regs.

I would not be too sure the folks in the video get away with this. I know of similar instances at have resulted in citations if someone points out the video, magazine article, or Facebook post to the powers that be. Nobody should be above the rules.

well as long as they or she in this case logged the fish on her license you can put the fish back in the water, or keep it. That is the loophole, it can be removed from the water if the water shed is C&K as long as it is logged. Now was it logged who knows, your guess is as good as mine.

you could have a field day on this forum alone with this one very law!

nice bow KF!

Quote Originally Posted by safari View Post
    I double checked the regs and tearbear is exactly right. Any king over 20 inches or silver over 16 inches that is removed from the water becomes part of the bag limit of whoever hooked the fish. Page 16 of 2013 south central regs.

I would not be too sure the folks in the video get away with this. I know of similar instances at have resulted in citations if someone points out the video, magazine article, or Facebook post to the powers that be. Nobody should be above the rules.
    Those king salmon regulations on page 16 of the Southcentral Regulation Summary booklet only apply to the salt or fresh waters of Cook Inlet. Goodnews River is not in Cook Inlet, it is in the Kuskokwim-Goodnews Drainages area and different regulations apply to those waters. In the Goodnews River, an angler may remove the king salmon from the water before releasing it. There are no regulations prohibiting that action within those waters.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm....ayk_sportfish

Thanks for the clarification, tally.

What about the scenario KBF describes above... catch a king somewhere in a Cook Inlet drainage, remove it from the water, mark it on your license as required for retention, but release it to spawn and retire the rod for the day.

I guess the premise here is that removing the fish from the water legally renders it to the angler's possession. Isn't the angler then free to do with it whatever he/she pleases. If the angler decides to "feed" the river rather than his own stomach with the catch, is there a legal problem with that?
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I think the lesson learned here to today is not to judge without all the facts...
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

No one judged anybody, I just asked a question.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Quote Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
    ...And you were judged for it.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

My comment wasn't directed at you, your question was valid.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

Why not ask the Wildlife Troopers?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    I think the lesson learned here to today is not to judge without all the facts...
    Come on now....there's no room for clear thinking and common sense around here!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    well as long as they or she in this case logged the fish on her license you can put the fish back in the water, or keep it. That is the loophole, it can be removed from the water if the water shed is C&K as long as it is logged. Now was it logged who knows, your guess is as good as mine.
    I don't think there is a loophole allowing the king to be released once it is removed from the water. The regs say that any king 20 inches or longer removed from salt or fresh water (in cook inlet) must be retained. From the way it is worded I believe you would be subject to a wanton waste violation if you released a king after you pulled it out of the water. I guess that would be an interesting question to ask a brown shirt.

Oh yeah, and for aktally benefit, this info is from the sc regs and specifically applies to cook inlet, not the goodnews river.

Quote Originally Posted by safari View Post
    I don't think there is a loophole allowing the king to be released once it is removed from the water. The regs say that any king 20 inches or longer removed from salt or fresh water (in cook inlet) must be retained. From the way it is worded I believe you would be subject to a wanton waste violation if you released a king after you pulled it out of the water. I guess that would be an interesting question to ask a brown shirt.

Oh yeah, and for aktally benefit, this info is from the sc regs and specifically applies to cook inlet, not the goodnews river.
    Its not wanton waste, it's how you remove a fish from the water to take a pic if your in a place that wont allow you to remove fish from the water unless you retain it. Once it is logged you can put it back in the water, or keep it. But it has to be logged. Now if you can't remove fish from water when C&R fishing and there is no retention then is just against the law. Safari by all means as a brown shirt or blue shirt, or a green shirt.

I was watching "North to Alaska". They were on The Good News River and Audrey caught a king.

They pulled it out of the water, took pictures, and then put it back in the water and let it go. Based on what I read here, I thought once it leaves the water, it's yours. No?

I saw this episode, and was wondering about Larry's bag limit, since I saw more than one king taken, shortly after he made a statement about a 1 fish limit. Maybe/probably/likely a several day trip. just wonderin'.

One also has to look at when the episode was filmed. The retention after removal from the water has been on the books for a few years. This could be an older episode. Probably several days of filming all condensed into one show. A lot of cutting and pasting.