Thread: a little confused

Default a little confused

.....as to how this law is worded, this is right from the fish and game website. Big Game may not be taken by the following methods: " Hunting big game with a muzzleloader equiped with a scope, or using smokeless powder as a charge during any special season for muzzleloading firearms only."

What i get from that is that during MUZZLELOADER SEASON.... I cannot use a scope, Iron sights only. and i cannot use smokeless poweder. And as i recall the triple se7en pellets are smokeless.

Im a little confused. Are they trying to make people use the older type muzzle loaders during muzzleloader season

You're half and half. You can't use scopes during the special muzzleloader seasons, but Triple Seven pellets are not "smokeless," as defined by ADF&G. They're still a blackpowder substitute like Pyrodex or Pyrodex pellets. You CAN use scopes on your muzzleloaders during the general seasons when modern arms are also legal, but you have to take them off for the special seasons.

so using my t/c pro hunter i can LEGALLY use my triple se7en pellets, and the factory fiberoptic sights during the (muzzleloader season)

Far as I know. In fact I know several guys that use the same combo and report great results.

Just to verify though, you DO have your muzzleloader certification from ADF&G? It's required for the special hunts.

Angry

I don't get to ketchikan until June, But wat it the muzzleloader certification your talking about, In ny. I get tags for bow, muzzle and regular season. And you use the firearm for the season

If there's a muzzleloader certification course in your area and you've passed it, check and see if it works in Alaska. There are reciprocal agreements between many states. If so, it could save you taking the class in Alaska.

no, new york has a bowhunter and a regular hunters saftey, nothing just for muzzleloader so ill have to do that to hunt the special season up there. Howeve it does say that a muzzleloader or bow can be used during regular season with no firearms restrictions. if i were to hunt a regular unrestricted season with my encore, would i still need the class?

Quote Originally Posted by badfish888 View Post
    if i were to hunt a regular unrestricted season with my encore, would i still need the class?
    Nope. And you could use a scoped gun if you wanted, as well. Check online at the ADF&G site. There are provisions for taking the written portion of the qual class online, though if I recall correctly you'll still have to take the shooting test up here. That might be the snag for you.

Check out page 13 of the Alaska Big Game Hunting Regulations (http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...s_complete.pdf). The information you are looking for is on the left side. As mentioned above, if you want to participate in any of the weapons restricted hunts, you will need a specific certification for that specific weapon (bow, muzzleloader, or shotgun depending on the hunt). You may also need hunter ed depending on the hunt you are choosing. You do not need special certification for the specific weapons if you are going to use them in a general season (open to all weapons) hunt. You may, however, still need hunter ed for those hunts depending on the specific hunt. Once you get things pretty well nailed down, I would definitely suggest calling ADF&G directly just to make sure your conclusions are correct and to clarify anything that might be a little foggy. The last thing you need is to be tripped up by some small regulation difference that applies to one specific location and wasn't obvious when you were doing your basic research. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Check out page 13 of the Alaska Big Game Hunting Regulations (http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...s_complete.pdf). The information you are looking for is on the left side. As mentioned above, if you want to participate in any of the weapons restricted hunts, you will need a specific certification for that specific weapon (bow, muzzleloader, or shotgun depending on the hunt). You may also need hunter ed depending on the hunt you are choosing. You do not need special certification for the specific weapons if you are going to use them in a general season (open to all weapons) hunt. You may, however, still need hunter ed for those hunts depending on the specific hunt. Once you get things pretty well nailed down, I would definitely suggest calling ADF&G directly just to make sure your conclusions are correct and to clarify anything that might be a little foggy. The last thing you need is to be tripped up by some small regulation difference that applies to one specific location and wasn't obvious when you were doing your basic research. Good luck.
    That's an excellent post! Thanks for helping him.