Thread: .22 HORNET or .222 Rem. ??? Which has killed the most BROWN BEARS.

Default .22 HORNET or .222 Rem. ??? Which has killed the most BROWN BEARS.

So what do you think.........????

My guess is that the .22 Hornet has killed more Brown Bears than ALL the new cartridges invented in the last 75 years together HAVE.

The .222 Remington is said to have killed more Polar Bears in Alaska than ALL other cartridges together ever HAVE.

I'm thinking the Hornet hasn't killed many brown bears compared to the .338 Win Mag.

Given the Inuits' long standing love affair with the triple deuce you could very well be right on the second part if you change it to N.America to count the Canadians.

My own rambles in white bear country revealed the Mini 14 and UMC .223 cartridge to be the nearly universal choice among the residents.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Remember the .22 Hornet was supplied by the cannery to the professional seal shooters at the mouth of all netted rivers. I instructions were kill anything that eats salmon.......Seals, Bears, whales. There was a bounty on Bald Eagles. Brown Bears and Seals were worthless "Salmon Eating" predators to the Cannery Operators.

I talked to a seal culler along time ago. He said, They would fill all there pockets with .22 Hornets cartridges and go to work, one man on each side of the river. There main job was cull seals, but if they seen a Brown Bear it was to be killed but not up stream of the nets that crossed the mouth of the river.

The .22 Hornet was born 1930. As I recall the cannery supplied both ammo and the best in a firearm available at the time.

The thought of head shooting brownies with a Hornet vocationally gives me the willies. Sheesh...wonder what the pay rate was? Not enough for that I'm sure!
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Remember the .22 Hornet was supplied by the cannery to the professional seal shooters at the mouth of all netted rivers. I instructions were kill anything that eats salmon.......Seals, Bears, whales. There was a bounty on Bald Eagles. Brown Bears and Seals were worthless "Salmon Eating" predators to the Cannery Operators.

I talked to a seal culler along time ago. He said, They would fill all there pockets with .22 Hornets cartridges and go to work, one man on each side of the river. There main job was cull seals, but if they seen a Brown Bear it was to be killed but not up stream of the nets that crossed the mouth of the river.

The .22 Hornet was born 1930. As I recall the cannery supplied both ammo and the best in a firearm available at the time.
    I knew I was born about a hundred years late!

i agree with hodgeman i think the mini-14 with a .223 would now be a contender. thats what many up here have shot bears with.